1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best arms (non pitchers/cathers) in baseball, 1970 to present

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

His best days were behind him by '70 but Al Kaline was a master in RF and could really throw it. Textbook technique, always in good position when fielding to get rid of it quickly and accurately.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Dunston, Furcal and Garry Templeton are the three that come to mind, infield division. Probably Scott Rolen, as well.

Worst outfield arm: Juan Pierre?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Any 1B worthy of mentioning?

What about Texiera?

4. Wendell Gee

Wendell Gee Member

Now that he's no longer pitching, does Ankiel count?

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Adding to the list: Celerino Sanchez, a Mexican third baseman who played third base for the Yankees in '72 and '73 before Nettles took over, had a rocket. Karim Garcia and Tim Foli also come to mind. Raul Mondesi, Rick Ankiel, Rocky Colavito ...

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Well, it is hard to get a good grip on the ball when you have piss on your hands.

Dunston had a cannon...and if you sat in the front few rows along the first base line, you better be on your toes.

Ichiro comes to mind.
    Josh Hamilton is also pretty stellar.

By the time 1970 hit a lot of his greatness had already been seen, but Yaz was still pretty good in the 70s.
    EDIT: I should add, I would have loved to see how good his arm if he had played outside of Boston.

7. Scouter

Scouter Member

Ankiel was the one that immediately came to my mind. He made two incredible throws from center field in a game at Colorado a couple of years ago.

8. I still remember Dave Parker throwing an absolute laser beam from right field to gun down Brian Downing in an All-Star game (I think it was 1979?).

Still, even though I never saw him except on tape (or film), I think this conversation begins and ends with Roberto Clemente (as our thread starter noted).

9. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

Dante Bichette

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Pierre is from the Mickey Rivers school of outfield assists ...

Bo Jackson's throw home from the warning track is one of the most astounding things I've seen in a baseball game. Just ridiculous.

11. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Shin-Soo Choo has one of the best in baseball right now for power and accuracy. People just don't run on him anymore, so he hardly ever gets to show it off. When Choo pitched in Korea, they said he had a mid-90s fastball and the Mariners signed him as a pitcher.

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Choo has a gun. I saw Parker, at Riverfront, throw out Chili Davis trying to score from third on a relatively deep flyball to right. After he threw Davis out Parker turned to the crowd, held his hand like a pistol, blew imaginary smoke off the gun and stick it back in the holster. Parkway was the man.

Draft saved Draft deleted