1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best antivirus software

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BigSleeper, May 28, 2008.

1. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I've used Norton Internet Security for several years, and am wondering if it's worth renewing my subscription. Are there more reasonably priced options that do just as well?

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

My friend who knows a heck of a lot more about this kind of stuff than I do suggested I just get avast www.avast.com, which seems to do a perfectly fine job for me and has the added bonus of being free.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

We use AVG for our PC. It's been free, but I think they're about to start charging us. It's OK. I'll pay for it, since we've had no issues.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I use McAfee on the desktop because it came with it. I use Zone Alarm on my laptop and gladly pay for it each year

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I've been using it for a while, and it's been absolutely fine. No problems at all.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It's a new update they've come out with. You have to do a bit of digging, but they still have a free version (also updated). Understandably, they don't make that real clear.

7. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Here's your link to AVG Free, version 8.

http://free.grisoft.com/ww.download?prd=afe

The download from their server seems to work better than trying from downloads.com.

Get rid of Norton, and I feel the same way about Mcaffe -- AVG picks up stuff those two miss. I've been using AVG more than 10 years now and I swear by it.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I use AVG as well. No major problems.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Best antivirus software: Mac OS X.

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Amen!

11. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

i use AVG. I used to have norton on the computer just because it came with it. but once that shit expired, i uninstalled it and, lo and behold, my computer started running about 100x faster.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think that's Norton's M.O. We're going to use so much of your computer's available memory, you CAN'T get a virus.

Draft saved Draft deleted