1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best announcer duo (local broadcast division)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Feb 12, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'll see that and raise you a Rick Rizzs and Bob Rathbun... ehhh, who am I kidding, you win

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Not live. I know it. I was a product of the Mets on television every game, so I watched McCarver and company on WWOR unless the games were on SportsChannel or whatever the channel was back then. I did a report for my History of American Broadcasting course in college, and I wrote pages on Murphy and Kiner. I went back and listened to him as part of my research -- still the best research I've ever done, along with the Blacksox Scandal two years later -- but I'm pretty sure that's all I heard of Murphy. I grew up in a Yankees family. So if a game was on the radio in the car, it was the Yankees.

3. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Marty Brenneman and Joe Nuxhall.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

No. We talked about this one before, Buck. That was for my History of American Sports -- a class that studied sports through movies and books. We watched Eight Men Out, and I wrote a five-page paper on the scandal. I got a 95 and thought I knew everything ... until I met you, that is.

5. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

Sad, ain't it? Even though this would never happen, but I'd love to hear any combination of Vin Scully, Harry Kalas, Jack Buck and Phil Rizzuto call a game. Rizzoots alone would be hilarious.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Until he left in the seventh to beat the traffic.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ahh, gotcha.

I'd be hella impressed to see someone try to tackle a paper on the B-Sox and American broadcasting, though. :D

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've got a lot of tall tales in my day, but that certainly would be a doozy.

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Roger's in George's Box!

10. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I would think a lot of this would be predicated on who you heard growing up. They become a part of your childhood.

I grew up in the bay area, and when I started listening to Giants games, it was Russ Hodges (who I barely remember) and Lon Simmons. And as a teen, it was Hank Greenwald.

On the other side of the bay, it was Bill King, who started about the same time I graduated from high school, and before that Monte Moore.

Those are the guys I remember because those are the guys who were there when i was growing up.

Since I grew up in California, i was not able to hear all the different announcers on the clear channel frequencies, like those who lived in the midwest.

11. For me as a child coming of age in Wilmington, Delaware, nothing -- and I mean NOTHING -- beat coming straight home from church and listening to Harry Kalas and the late great Whitey, Richie Ashburn calling Phils Sunday afternoon games back when they were on WPHL17. When Whitey passed in '97, it felt like a member of my family died, hokey as it may sound. I've never been a Chris Wheeler fan, but Sarge (Gary Matthews, Sr.) is coming into his own as a color guy.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Josh Lewin and Tom Grieve on Rangers TV (FSN Southwest). They make the suckass Rangers watchable.

Chargers fans know Lewin. Rangers radio puts me to sleep.

Draft saved Draft deleted