1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best and worst uniforms in sports, of all times.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Mar 23, 2014.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Thanks, Devil!

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Actually, they lasted five years (1997-2001), and yeah, I had the lid too, because I was a fan, but they were pretty bad. The ones they have now are so much better.

Interesting story on those Angels unis. I worked at Upper Deck in the late '90s, and the designers there would always get the MLB style guides months before the season started, so we would see next year's uniform changes very early. One of them printed out the original plan for the unis, which were a little different: Instead of navy blue sleeves, they had red/periwinkle stripes over the shoulders and at the bottom of the sleeves and also had a home cap that had a white crown and pinstripes, along with two other alternate caps. A couple months later, I saw the unveiling of the retooled uniforms that they would use, and another co-worker, who did part-time work at the Angel games tracking stats, told me a couple of reporters revealed to him that a couple of front-office executives saw the original plans and told the designers to go back to the drawing board, hence the somewhat toned-down duds they would wear.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

mpcincal, I believe that was the year Disney pumped a shitload of money into the stadium.
    The rock formations behind the outfield fence, etc.
    Maybe they asked for a uniform change to go along with the improvements.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I still prefer the navy Angels "A w/ halo" to the red - but I understand it's L.A. and the team is in a gang war with the Dodgers.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

+1. Ralph Garr?

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

That's within the timeline of the stadium downsizing after the Rams fled for St. Louis.

As for the White Sox in shorts, I'll see you and raise the Hollywood Stars of the 1950s:

[​IMG]

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yes, that was the first season after Disney took control and started renovating the stadium. And they also changed the name to Anaheim Angels for the '97 season, so everybody knew they're would be a new logo and uniform makeover. I just wished they had come up with something much better.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Best unis:

MLB: Cubs, Reds, Red Sox, Yankees, Phillies, Pirates, Cardinals, Dodgers, Royals, A's.
    NFL: Colts, Cowboys (even if the shades of blue don't match), Raiders, Packers, Steelers (none of that bumblebee crap).
    NHL: The Original 6.
    NBA: Lakers, Celtics, Bulls -- mainly the teams that have kept one look throughout history.

Worst:
    MLB: Marlins, Padres, Rangers (mainly because of the whole 'Texas' thing on every jersey), Mariners.
    NFL: Dolphins, Bucs, Vikings, Texans, Rams.
    NHL: Ducks, Wild, Coyotes, Blue Jackets.
    NBA: Mavericks, Suns, 76ers.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The TEXAS in huge font across the chest of the baseball jerseys are excellent.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think the current Rangers uniforms are OK. I have skipped a few college uniforms that deserve praise. Like USC, Georgia (red and black is an underrated combination), Texas and Harvard (tan pants to imitate the 1893 look) football uniforms. Like Indiana basketball, can tolerate North Carolina's. Surprised Providence, the last team to wear sleeved basketball jerseys to my recollection, hasn't gone back to that original black and white look.
    PS: LSU football whites pretty cool as well.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Interesting to note that, for the most part, good teams have good uniforms, while lousy teams have terrible uniforms.

Draft saved Draft deleted