1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best and worst uniforms in sports, of all times.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I loved the 49ers white jersey/gold pants combo they had before their current uniforms. The colors, especially the gold, were a bit brighter. I know people like the current 80s homage the Niners are going for, but to me it was a downgrade.

[​IMG]

I was also a fan of the Chargers' midnight blue jerseys. Not sure that franchise has ever had a truly awful look.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

[​IMG]

On one hand, the Denver Broncos "original AFL team" throwbacks rank among the worst uniforms of all time.

On the other hand, I'll admit it was a guilty pleasure seeing them revived for one season. :)

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Worse than these?

[​IMG]

4. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

I really like the triangle C caps, so I'm sticking with the Padres here.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I like every uni Nolan Ryan has worn, including the Astros.

[​IMG]

But, of course, the Texas Rangers are the best:

[​IMG]

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

Baseball: Best - I love the tradition of the Yankee pinstripes, but I think the late 50s/early 60s uniforms of the Chicago White Sox might have been the best. Those were the first baseball uniforms with names on the back.

Worst: In the early 70s, the Orioles briefly tried a black uniform with orange letters and numbers. They looked like pajamas.

Pro Basketball: Best: San Francisco Warriors in the 1960s with "The City" in a circle on front and the numbers on the back in a cable car.
    Worst: Minneapolis Lakers from the 1950s.

NHL: Best, Montreal Canadiens Red jersey. It's been there for at least 50 years and it still looks great.
    Worst: Vancouver Canucks when they lost to the Islanders in the 1980s. They completely changed their colors and it made no sense and was exceptionally ugly. A close second is the Oakland Seals - white skates don't work in hockey and make it easier for opponents to see the puck.

NFL: Best, Green Bay Packers green and gold jerseys. Another classic look.
    Worst, Denver Broncos with the vertical stripe socks and the ugly brown and yellow colors of the San Diego Padres. I don't count throwback jerseys, or Pittsburgh and the Cardinals would be on top.

College Football: Best, My vote goes to Ohio State. The red and gray are good looking colors, and the Buckeye leaf decorations make it something special.

Worst: Oregon - in addition to the horrid colors, the numbers are hard to read.

College

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Good post.
    I am wondering which baseball team brings back baby blue as a steady road uniform.

8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Florida State football since the late 90s. The helmet alone is classic.
    [​IMG]

Sporting Kansas City
    [​IMG]

9. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I thought the California Golden Seals-version of unis were pretty cool looking, especially the home ones with so much gold. Agree on the white skates, though. Thanks, Charlie O.

Count me among those who liked the Air-Coryell era Chargers' look.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I had the lid, back in the day.
    I look at the uni set now and realize how aggressively bad it was.
    Typical of that slice of the '90s.
    These uniforms lasted about three years, if I recall.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No pictures, but surely the worst trophy is retired by the shorts worn by Bill Veeck's White Sox in the '70s. And they had Wilbur Wood on that team!!!

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm not saying the uniforms were the reason the LBA only lasted one game, but I'm pretty sure they didn't help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted