1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best and worst uniforms in sports, of all times.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Mar 23, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

World League edition (I actually had one of these in high school):

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That seemed to be a trend in that era. Remember the Pittsburgh Pirates, who had about a dozen uniform and cap combinations? I did like the fact the uniforms had more color in them and weren't all white or grey.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Heavens. I have never seen that before. It looks more like a poster than something you'd wear.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The best are usually the classic looks that don't change (or change very little) over the years:

Colts,
    Raiders
    Steelers
    Packers
    Michigan football
    Notre Dame football
    North Carolina basketball
    Alabama football
    Yankees
    Cubs
    Dodgers
    Cardinals

There have been so many different versions of "worst" over the years that I'm not sure where to even begin listing them.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I still don't understand the random bright red numbers on the front. No red anywhere else...why is that?
    Here is an answer I found...still I have always found it odd
    http://www.thinkbluela.com/index.php/2012/04/18/whats-with-the-red-number-on-the-front/

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I was about to post that the Alworth-era unis were my favorite. The current ones aren't horrible, IMO, but don't measure up to past versions. I always thought the Fouts-Winslow era jerseys, with the gold numerals looked great.

My worst: Those ChiSox 1890s throwback uniforms, even taking the aborted shorts out of the equation. Even in the 1970s, those things looked like the most ridiculous things ever.

Guilty pleasure: Astros rainbow uniforms. Loud and ostentatious, but I always loved them.

Agree with the views on the Padres brown and yellow in the late '70s and '80s, but you'll hear a vocal contigent of Padre fans constantly saying how great those uniforms are and how the team should go back to the brown and yellow. I just shake my head at that.

7. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Yep.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

http://www.uni-watch.com/2013/10/16/revealed-the-story-behind-the-dodgers-red-numbers/

The TV thing isn't exactly accurate.

9. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

The Padres' all yellow uniforms were arguably worse.

[​IMG]

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Black and brown?

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agreed. People often mention the powder blues in these discussions, but I think the Air Coryell era Charger unis were also mighty sharp.

Not sure why the Chargers continue to stick with the ones they have now, since everybody seems to agree what they used to wear looks better. Doesn't even matter which one they returned to--could be the powder blues or the air coryells--still would be an improvement over what they've been wearing the last couple decades.

I think the best era for football unis was from around the mid-70s to early 80s (which oddly enough, was quite an ugly era for baseball unis). I think the teams that have the sharpest unis today are the ones who simply kept the basic designs they had then (Colts, Raiders, Steelers, Cowboys, Packers, 49ers). Most changes other teams have made since then have only been for the worse.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Not sure if they're still doing it, but a couple of years ago they put the brown and yellow throwbacks into the regular rotation. They'd wear them for Wednesday home games, which had odd starting times (3:30 PST, if I remember right).

Draft saved Draft deleted