1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best and worst TV series finales

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Versatile, Aug 2, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

For the most part, I enjoyed how NYPD Blue ended up and I get that they seemed to be rewarding Sipowicz for going through so much and coming out on the other side a better person. But this scene made me think they were a tad unrealistic in one part of that reward. And no, it is not safe for work.

.youtube.com%2Fresults%3Fsearch_query%3DCharlotte%2BRoss%2Bshower%26oq%3DCharlotte%2BRoss%2Bshower%26gs_l%3Dyoutube.3...20200.20639.0.20902.6.5.0.0.0.0.140.366.4j1.5.0...0.0...1ac.clHg27H_lQs&has_verified=1

While I was looking for the clip, I found some more recent pictures of her. The plastic surgeon was unkind.

2. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

NYPD Blue was great.

The Shield went out stronger than any TV show I have ever watched beginning to end. The last season was amazing.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Such an amazing line. And Suzanne Pleshette was a fabulous gal. Heck, Mary Frann was too. But Suzanne...sigh.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I loved that scene, for obvious reasons. I also remember later in the ep, when the two met up at the precinct, Sipowicz told her that the kid asked him to drop him off at Hooters on the way to school.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten about that. All the crap that gets endless reruns, but NYPD Blue isn't on anywhere? WTF?

6. I thought the Shield finale was a huge letdown.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Cheers and MASH for me, but I'll add another: Monk.

Not necessarily the finale -- I figured if it wasn't called "Mr. Monk Solves the Case" it wouldn't live up, but the entire season was spent tying up the characters' lives: the captain got married, the bumbling officer got a promotion -- and hooked up with a returning Shirona. i forget what happened with Natalie, but it was closure.

I thought it was a nice way to end the series, although the whole "if I'd have only opened the Christmas present years ago" thing was weird -- but very Monkish.

I have never, ever seen an episode of Newhart. That is a shame. I must remember to Netflix it.

8. NDub

NDub Guest

The LOST finale is one the most polarizing topics I've ever discussed regarding TV and film.

I loved it and thought it provided an appropriate and filling end to the character's journeys. I can't watch the finale without shedding tears.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

Agreed. Jack's death march is like a punch to my heart.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'll throw one out there that I liked: ER.

The show had been stale for years, but they wrapped things up pretty well with bringing Clooney in unannounced for one show a few episodes prior then having the final scene be Dr. Greene's daughter pitching in on a multiple-person trauma.

11. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Chicago Code only lasted a season, was a great show, and ended with everything getting wrapped up nicely.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

At the time it aired, I really liked that finale while my sister-in-law, who was also a huge fan of the show agreed with you that it was a letdown, if I remember right her words after watching it were "that's it?" I think she may have been expecting to see Mackey getting hauled off to prison, shooting himself, or something else happening to him.

I still think that finale was the perfect conclusion to the series.

Draft saved Draft deleted