1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best and Worst Pixar Films

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with LTL. Cars was not the best written, but loved the look.
    Special fondness for all the Toy Story movies because my oldest is about Andy's age and was going off to college when we saw 3. Cried at that more than anything dark in the story.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. Both the movie and the short are outstanding. I just left them off because I remembered that they weren't Pixar. Otherwise, it would definitely be in my top 3.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Have not taken Daughter One to Inside Out, so this list is subject to change.

Tops:
    The Incredibles: Just spot-on, perfect dialogue between a husband and wife. They sounded so much like real life that I could totally see them as married. The little jabs, the back and forth, the inside jokes, reading between the lines and talking around a subject -- it's like my marriage, only superhero size.
    Toy Story 3: I'm drawn to darkness.
    Toy Story: The alpha to 3's omega.
    Monsters Inc.: Steve Buscemi is great.

Bottoms:
    The Rat Movie: Way, way too long. And, really, a fucking rat? Come on.
    Brave: Too long and annoying.
    Finding Nemo: I rooted for the sharks.
    Cars 2: The worst sequel perhaps ever.
    Meh:
    Wall-E
    Up
    Cars
    Monsters University

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There's a suicide in the first five minutes of "The Incredibles"!

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Having seen Inside Out...

The difference between one thinking it's the best Pixar movie ever - or just one of the better Pixar movies - may boil down to what you think of Docter creating a kind of "road movie" halfway between, which includes the imaginary friend. If the brain is a movie studio, and that's kind of the gist here, than Bing Bong is the vaudevillian hobo with a heart of gold.

Double Down likes this.
  6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Inside Out
    Incredibles
    Ratatouille
    Toy Story
    Finding Nemo

That's the five.

And Anton Ego's reaction to ratatouille is the greatest Pixar moment.

7. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Saw Inside Out last night and it was incredible. Depending how many nominees they have, and how deep the field is, I could see it getting a Best Picture nomination like Up (another Pete Docter film).

And that short was amazing, too. I'd love to see that song get an Oscar nomination.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I didn't care for Inside Out. I thought it was just OK.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Looks like there are only versions of the song from Lava with still images on YouTube rather than the actual short, which figures with the movie still in theaters. My daughter came home from her summer camp singing it yesterday. Apparently, quite a few of the campers love it. Now it's stuck in my head, too.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

11. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It could get one. It's actually a strong year for movies thus far, but we'll have to see what the voters do with Mad Max and Ex Machina. The former is a visual spectacular - more or less why movies are made - the latter is very, very very good in ways you have to chew on a little. But neither may get best picture nods. Both should.

It Follows is better than both, "in 20 years they show it at film festivals" good, but it'll get lost.

Draft saved Draft deleted