1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best American Sports Writing of 2014

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Umm ... No?

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Damn, I'm going to be busy. Read the Mavericks piece, which was pretty good if straightforward. The Stealhead Joe story was excellent. Love Outside, but can never find it in stores anymore. Maybe I should just subscribe.
    Really looking forward to reading the Rucker Park one, and re-reading the excerpt from Heaven is a Playground, one of my all-time favorites.
    Also interested in the Anthony Smith piece. Had to print a couple of these out. I don't have time for all this LONG-FORM! Great stuff to sift through. Or I could just buy the book.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Um, yes? The New York Times has one. The others are in The Times magazine.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Since we tend to gripe about the same people being mentioned often, what's a story you think should have made it but did not (and has not already been mentioned, so no more Thompson pieces).

Must have appeared in 2013.

I have a couple I would have included were I the guest editor, but I'll defer for a moment (a few days) to narrow it down. You go, though. Always fun to find a piece you otherwised would miss.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The Toledo cross country coach sex scandal story on Deadspin is one I remember, if for no other reason than it went balls to the wall on what happened while the Blade showed Puritan restraint. Contrast of old and new media - and a terrific read.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Maybe you can post it/those in the WMTPG thread. :)

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Read the Anthony Smith story from GQ's Kathy Dobie. Excellent read, and the ending was interesting, if a little abrupt. Was wondering if it might have been a better story if she could have waited to see how the trial played out.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Easy. Seth Wickersham's story on Bill Walsh's first book.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8865286/former-49ers-head-coach-bill-walsh-first-book-lives-super-bowl-road-map-espn-magazine

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Yup. That was actually first on my list. There is another one of his too that I think was worthy. I'll post my "Others" list on Monday if I can get all the links together.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

What makes it for me is that it's funny in spots. You can sense that, for the men who truly knew and cared for Bill Walsh, Bill Walsh was an enormously draining experience, and they've found some humor in that.

11. SteveRomano13

SteveRomano13 Member

When are they going to rename the book the best american sports longform???

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I wonder how SI submitted their Longform stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted