1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best American Sports Writing of 2014

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by boundforboston, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's always been the case in these anthologies, though.

2. ringer

ringer Active Member

The ESPN Mag piece on wrestling legend Dan Gable was phenomenally well-done -- and resonant.

Can't believe that didn't make the cut.

ICYMI:

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/Dan-Gable/the-losses-dan-gable

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I don't think you could go wrong picking Wright on Jordan, Dan Gable or Johnny Manziel for this, but whatever. It's subjective, based on the tastes of one person, and that person is different each year.

Congrats to all those picked. Good sportswritng is fun to read no matter where it appears.

4. ringer

ringer Active Member

Anyone know who the guest editor was this year?

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Chris McDougall, who wrote the book Born To Run.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Has SI ever been shut out before?

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Good post.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

SBNation getting two nods. Glenn Stout, who I think still heads up the long form for them, is the series editor for BASW.

Just saying.

Glad to see the Deadspin Mante Teo piece got a nod. Might have been the craziest, most convoluted sports story in recent memory, and they did a great job of sifting through the crap

9. Dick Whitman

Except:

A friend of Ronaiah Tuiasosopo told us he was "80 percent sure" that Manti Te'o was "in on it," and that the two perpetrated Lennay Kekua's death with publicity in mind. ... The sheer quantity of falsehoods about Manti's relationship with Lennay makes that friend, and another relative of Ronaiah's, believe Te'o had to know the truth.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I have no problem with that. The friend is giving his opinion. The sociopath who perpetuated the hoax probably told his friends that Teo WAS in on it, so he would seem like less of a scumbag.

11. Dick Whitman

I feel like with that kind of accusation, someone should put his name to it, though.

I'm also somewhat tainted in evaluating it because I remember how long Deadspin adhered to that narrative, hostilely and mockingly at times, long after any objective person could see it wasn't the case.

12. DrewJo

DrewJo New Member

Some clarification here:

The "friend" whom Deadspin was referring to was a guy named J.R. Vaosa.

Vaosa knew Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, vaguely, through an acquaintance who was being catfished back around 2009. After the story broke, Vaosa went on Twitter and clarified that when he and some pals realized Ronaiah was a catfisher, they "broke off" all contact with him.

So...they weren't really friends. And my impression is that J.R. Vaosa hadn't actually spoken to Ronaiah in four years! I watched a talk that Timothy Burke gave to the APSE, and when the matter turned to the whole "80%" quote, Burke made sure to change the description from a "friend" to, I believe, "someone intimately familiar with the hoax." Point being, I really doubt Vaosa heard from Ronaiah that Te'o was involved in the hoax.

Draft saved Draft deleted