1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best American Sports Writing 2011

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsScribe5, Sep 30, 2011.

1. BrewCrewFan

BrewCrewFan New Member

Anyone have an idea on how entries make the book? Can writers/editors submit stories for consideration?

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://indiepro.com/glenn/index.php/basw-how-and-when-to-submit/

3. BrewCrewFan

BrewCrewFan New Member

Thank you

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm going to out myself.

I'm not on that list. AGAIN. Gonna have to assume, for the 20th straight year, that my mail got lost on its way to Glenn's remote location. :D :D :D

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I will assume this is the first mention of Danville, Va. in BASW history, unless someone referenced the wreck of the Old 97 in a winning story.

Also congratulations for being the first BASW honoree in a fantasy football league with me.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Thanks Matt, that was very kind of you.

7. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

This year, for the first time, it is available on Kindle. As I understand it, very complicated rights issues in regard to some corporate rights holders prevented it from being available an an e-book previous to this year.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

In this Internet age, with sites such as newslink.org, why the hell does Stout still demand a subscription to your paper to get a story considered? I tried that once with our circulation department to enter something. The guy laughed for 45 seconds.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Dave McKenna. Nice!

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

[quote author=hondo]In this Internet age, with sites such as newslink.org, why the hell does Stout still demand a subscription to your paper to get a story considered? I tried that once with our circulation department to enter something. The guy laughed for 45 seconds.[/quote]

That's not really what it says, "demand" or "to be considered."

Publications that want to be absolutely certain their contributions are considered are advised to provide a complimentary subscription to the address listed below. Those that already do so should make sure to extend the subscription.

It's another method of "making absolutely certain." But he'll accept and read submissions from anybody, regardless of a subscription or not.

11. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Joe Posnanski, Where Are They Now: Stan Musial, Sports Illustrated, Aug. 2, 2010.

What? Notables only?

Simply one of the best sports stories I've ever read.

12. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

That's not really what it says, "demand" or "to be considered."

Publications that want to be absolutely certain their contributions are considered are advised to provide a complimentary subscription to the address listed below. Those that already do so should make sure to extend the subscription.

It's another method of "making absolutely certain." But he'll accept and read submissions from anybody, regardless of a subscription or not.
    [/quote]
    Exactly. It makes sense for many magazines to provide complimentary subscriptions, but obviously not for newspapers - my mailbox isn't that big. And in regard to another often misunderstood regard to the demand that I receive copies of printed stories as printed rather than links/URLS or copies of the the online version, that is a demand of the publisher (not that I understand or have ever understood) but if I don't get/can't get a tear sheet, hard copy, pdf printout or copy of the same, I/we can't use or consider the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted