1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best American athletes of the 21st century, so far?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 26, 2018.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I think we know now how Dick had 8,000 notifications.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

All from prominent posters, I am certain.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Dude, you gotta use the reply button.

Welker caught 67 passes for Miami the year before BB traded for him. He was a great kick returner with Miami, too. Edelman, great find, no doubt.
    Moss, he set an NFL record for TD receptions I believe in 2007.
    I'm not saying the receivers were always great, but it's a myth that he had nothing to work with.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Welker went from 67 to leading the league in receptions and from 118 receptions to 73 when he left. Moss was one season in 17.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Moss played with Pats for 3 years, two with Brady (2007 and 2009) -- and led the NFL in TDs both years.

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Shit. You're right. I missed that on profb-reference

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I miss year 0 A.D.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

When Bradshaw won 4 how many times was Stallworth Swann & Harris on his team?

When Montana won 4 he had Roger Craig for 3, Jerry Rice for 2,Dwight Clark for 2 and John Taylor for 1. Steve Young won a ring with Taylor and Rice.

Brady did it with a cast of changing players. More so than any other QB. It’s fair to say that Brady won 5 with 3 different teams. All Patriots but substantially 3 different rosters.

Elway didn’t. Staubach didn’t. Unitas didn’t. Manning did it with 2 different teams but that last one was a ghost of Peyton Past.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Cael Sanderson at least deserves a mention. Greatest of all time in his sport.

Azrael likes this.
  10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Except those "3 different teams" all had the same coach/de facto GM, the same owner and only two directors of player personnel. A consistency you cannot find in any of the other 31 teams (the Steelers are the only one in the ballpark, I believe).

Yes, the roster changes, but they're thoughtful, almost seamless changes. You don't see it getting blown up because of salary cap boondoggles and trades that backfired horrifically.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I've been here for all of Brady's time. It is more accurate to say he won Super Bowls with TWO different teams, the defensive-oriented 2001-2004 bunch where he often was content to play a supporting role (check out his Super Bowl 36 stats) and carried the team only when all else failed, and the Brady of this decade, who had to be great if his team was to be a champion. And as we saw in February, even that wasn't always enough. This, BTW, mimics the career arcs of both Bart Starr and Terry Bradshaw.

12. manky_jimy

manky_jimy Active Member

Jeter should at least be honorable mention.

Draft saved Draft deleted