1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

best albums of 2008

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Boognish

Boognish Member

Agreed about DCFC, though I still like Plans and Transatlanticism better, but I'm going to give it time.

Dude, get both the Fleet Foxes album and EP. Great stuff.

I'm a huge MMJ fan. I like Evil Urges, but it took time. I really like those songs live, though.

The new Black Keys is money. Vampire Weekend's debut album is a lot of fun.

MGMT's album, Oracular Spectacular, came out in January (had it in November and it didn't leave my player for a month).

Wisconsin dude Bon Iver's record is really good.

Beck doesn't make bad music. Modern Guilt is worth getting.

Saturday's = Youth by M83 is interesting, and I like it, though it's not usually my style. So is Cut Copy's "In Ghost Colours."

Elbow's "Seldom Seen Kid" and No Age's "Nouns" are records I'm putting some time into.

Don't have it yet, but the new Hold Steady sounds awesome.

Alright ... I get excited about music threads. That is all.

2. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I just can't wrap myself around Craig Finn's voice. His talk-singing annoys me.

Or at least the little stuff I've heard hasn't grown on me. But everyone is telling me I should love them, o maybe I should give it another chance.

And boognish, I too get excited about music threads.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

That's the rub with The Hold Steady. Finn's voice is kind of an all-or-nothing proposition. I happen to love it, but I can understand why some folks wouldn't.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm going to give a vote to R.E.M.'s Accelerate. It's one of those few non-Stevie Nicks-related albums I can see myself sitting through in its entirety and listening to it front to back.

Also, Mudcrutch's record is solid. damn solid.

5. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Accelerate seems to be the closest thing I've heard to the old IRS stuff. It's pretty phenomenal.

6. Boognish

Boognish Member

It's not music that I listen to alone - in my car or at home - very often for that reason. Finn can be annoying, and you can only take certain doses at a time. But, man, with a beer and some friends, perferably old ones (friends, not beers), it really works for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted