1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

best albums of 2008

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Oh yeah...how could I forget. If we Earthlings are lucky there will be a new SLAYER disc before year's end.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

On Jason Isbell's solo effort, you can't be dissin' "Dress Blues."
    That's a great, great song.

"But you won't be back,
    They're all dressin' in black, drinkin' sweet tea from styrofoam cups."

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Great song, yes. Better song live. The version he recorded for the album is pretty weak compared to how it sounded when he played it on tour with DBT.

4. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

There's really nothing on the horizon I'm that jazzed about...I wasn't too crazy about what I heard off the new Mars Volta record. One thing might be a lot of bands I really dig released records last year (Radiohead, Arcade Fire, The Shins, Wilco, White Stripes, Spoon, Queens of the Stone Age, LCD Soundsystem)...the other fact may be I'm becoming a bitter old fart.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Can't believe I forgot about "Dress Blues" in my earlier post. Yes, it is much better, and more emotional, live.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I bought DBT's current album today after I heard the opening track, "Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife" for the first time. Now I'm biased because I lived in Richmond when the Harvey family was murdered (the inspiration behind the song), and I saw how the city reacted (I was at the toy store referenced in the line "dolls and flowers in the storefront"). And like I said in the song you're listening to now thread, I'm not the guy who chokes up at music. I did here.

I've only gotten through the first four songs, because I keep going back to the opener. I'll probably do it all the way through in the next couple of days, and report what I find. All y'all will be waiting, I'm sure.

7. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

To me, an unexpected consequence of Isbell leaving is that whatshername now sings lead on some songs, and she's great. That "Huston" song is tremendous.

8. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

New Hold Steady disc on July 15!

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Really? That's my least favorite song on the album. But I do like "The Purgatory Line." And her name's Shonna.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Can't wait.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

New Death Cab for Cutie and Old 97s come out Tuesday.

New My Morning Jacket on June 13.

And what I've heard, I really like the She & Him record.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Same here. Very retro feel to it.

If you're a fan of the Arctic Monkeys, check out the Last Shadow Puppets, Alex Turner's (AM lead singer) current side project. Probably the best thing I've heard all year.

Draft saved Draft deleted