1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

best albums of 2008

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Jan 9, 2008.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yea, she really is in between both of them but that works as I like this album a lot. Foundations is a fantastic song and I'm guessing it will be the first single off the album. I'm sure she'll be big in London but it will be interesting to see if she ever hits mainstream radio over here. I'm not holding my breath.

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

mtv is pumping her hard (huh huh huh) -- but not sure how much i'm digging it.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I haven't watched MTV in forever. Glad they still at least talk about music. I can definitely see how she wouldn't be for everybody.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

From what I've read, she already is big overseas -- the album came out over there last year -- and there seems to be a lot of buzz here, too. Maybe not mainstream radio, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Mainstream radio leads to major label, leads to record label meddling to make a more popular record, leads to crappier music, in many cases.

Funny thing is, I've been seeing "Kate Nash" on music blogs and stuff for a while now, but for some reason I always saw "Kate Bush" and glazed over it. Kate Bush is fine, but never did much for me, musically. Kate Nash, on the other hand, I am digging.

5. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I can see that (the disjointed part, anyway) but it doesn't really bother me. Not every record has to be a concept album. I think that's one benefit of my having picked up the Truckers late in the game -- I didn't have any preconceived notions that everything had to be as cohesive as "Southern Rock Opera."

6. Four replies! That didn't take long!

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've heard 10 of the songs. Pretty good stuff... Who knows if it will ever be available legally...

8. pallister

pallister Guest

As for the DBT reord, I think it's probably 6-7 songs too long, but some of the songs, especially "Daddy Needs a Drink," "Ghost to Most," "The Righteous Path" and "Self-Destructive Zones" I keep playing over and over. I'm hoping a lot of the other songs grow on me, like The Dirty South. When I first sarted listening to that years ago, I only liked a few songs. Now, I'll put the CD in my car and listen to it all the way through 10 times before putting anything else on.

And as for Isbell's solo CD, I'm sure most people excpected a more intense record (I think the same can be said for the new DBT), but it's grown on me. I especially like "Razor Town" and "Devil is My Running Mate," although my favorite is "Try," which is the heaviest song on the record.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm big in Japan.

10. Well played.

11. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Sons and Daughters have a new disc out in the next couple of weeks. It will likely be an early contender for AotY in my book.

Keren Ann will be touring the States and Canada in the next couple of months.

There should be a new AC/DC disc out before the end of the year. It'll probably suck. But at least they'll go on tour!

Melvins, Celtic Frost, and Satyricon should all have albums out by summer. I'm very excited about those too.

12. Love AC/DC, but do we need new material? Seriously. Just morph into Buffett or the Dead and tour whenever you feel like it, people will come.

Draft saved Draft deleted