1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best album of the '90s - Champion crowned on page 21

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, May 6, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Re: Best album of the '90s - The process starts

So I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your effort.

That being said:

(1) "Southern Harmony and Musical Companion" is by far the superior Black Crowes album. By far.
    (2) If you put Son Volt's "Trace" on your play-in list, it will make it into the field in a landslide. It is one of the top five albums of the decade. It is.
    (3) No "Pinkerton"?
    (4) No "Live Through This"?
    (5) I already mentioned the omission of Son Volt's "Trace." But this list needs something by Son Volt, Wilco, or Uncle Tupelo. I think that YGMFKM was just trying to be a sly snot with his response, but "Anodyne" is one possibility. So are "No Depression" and "Still Feel Gone." Wilco put out "A.M.," "Being There" (double album), and "Summerteeth" in the '90s.
    (6) Cracker's debut from 1992 with "What the World Needs Now" and "Happy Birthday to Me" is goddamned brilliant from beginning to end. I really feel like you are underestimating the importance of country-influenced bands on this list.

No way in holy hell does a second Chili Peppers album or Santana's album deserve to be on this list ahead of some of those I mentioned.

Interesting that you went with "Downward Spiral" for Trent Reznor. That's probably his high-water mark, but personally I remember preferring "Broken," which I guess is technically an EP, because it was so damned heavy but also melodic. I wouldn't like it that much now because I've move well beyond teen-age angst.

All this said: Thanks for your work on this. A lot of fun to revisit those years. I have a '90s rock iPod playlist that I take with me on almost every run. Those were special times.

2. Dick Whitman

This is not the first time that this debate has broken out here. Last time, if I recall, it was about Weezer vs. Bush.

"Glycerine" is the single worst song of the '90s. May have single-handedly killed the Seattle sound for good. To me, "Sixteen Stone" was the moment when the genre surrendered all pretenses of authenticity. I hate it.

Oh, just thought of another album that deserved some consideration: Ben Folds Five "Whatever and Ever Amen."

3. Dick Whitman

I am utterly out of my depth with 99 percent of black music from the '90s, so take this for what it's worth: I vaguely remember the name, but I wouldn't know Erykah Badu if she wanted up and hit me in the head with a hammer.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bush has nothing to do with the "Seattle sound", and never did. They're from England. That was such a lazy criticism in 1994. It's even more lazy today.

5. Dick Whitman

Don't worry. If the thread lasts long enough, someone will hurl a Black Crowes-ripped-off-the-Stones potshot at me, so karma will be restored.

6. Dick Whitman

Why isn't this the same as saying, "The Rolling Stones have nothing to do with the blues. They're from England"?

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Anodyne is Uncle Tupelo's best album, Dick.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

She's a great artist, and she's still making great music. I still crank up her live version of "Tyrone" whenever Dr. J pisses me off. Other great songs: Bag Lady, Back in the Day (Puff), On and On among others.

Tyrone:

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Wait, did YGB vote already even though the 15 and 16 seeds haven't even been determined? :D

And fj, Bag Lady is my favorite.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I accounted for all possibilities.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Because "the blues" isn't a strictly Chicago thing, or New Orleans, or St. Louis, or New York, or wherever.

How can Bush be a part of the Seattle sound when they weren't from Seattle?

Now if you want to say "Bush killed grunge," I'll strongly disagree because grunge was already dead, but at least it's not lumping them in with a movement they had nothing to do with.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm with Dick Whitman ... Southern Harmony and Musical Companion absolutely crushes Shake Your Money Maker. Matthew Sweet's Altered Beast and 100 Percent Fun might also be better than Girlfriend, though I acknowledge that Girlfriend created his sound.

And let the record show that this is my write-in vote for Air's Moon Safari, Digital Underground's Sex Packets and Superdrag's Regretfully Yours!

Draft saved Draft deleted