1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Album of the '80s - And the winner is ... on page 14

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Apr 19, 2012.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

With the recent abundance of music threads/arguments and the awesome success of the super-terrific Field of 64 game here at SJ, that a tournament bracket be made to determine, by your votes, what was the best album of the 1980s.

Here are the rules: I created a tournament bracket seeding and matching up the top 64 albums. You then vote on each matchup and we continue until a winner is crowned. A change from first bracket I did is that I ask you to vote via PM rather than just posting your votes on the thread.

Everyone is invited to participate, especially the folks who are responsible for the fine debates in music threads. I'll post the bracket once I remember where on my computer I saved it :p, but here are the No. 1 seeds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Re: Best Album of the '80s - A Tournament

Appetite for Destruction
    Hysteria

Both were released just a couple weeks apart in 1987, which I didn't realize.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If Appetite isn't a No. 1 seed, you shouldn't even bother...

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Back in Black

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Here's the list he's referring to: http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_albums80s.html

As I pointed out in the TV tournament thread, it would be no fun if we tried to jigger the seeding to reflect SportsJournalists.com taste. That would just lead to either, a) controversy or b) no upsets. This is a way for no one board member's opinion to dominate the conversation while allowing for plenty of updates. I think it's a well-constructed list.

6. Mizzougrad96

A few sleepers:

Talking Heads - Remain in Light
    Doolittle or Surfer Rosa - The Pixies
    Get Happy - Elvis Costello
    Straight Outta Compton - NWA
    So - Peter Gabriel

7. Mizzougrad96

That's fair...

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Take Purple Rain and Public Enemy out as 1 seeds, and replace them with Hysteria and Appetite for Destruction.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't care much for the Pixies, but I thought it was strange that Doolittle came in at No. 21 while Surfa Rosa is No. 81 and NIT-bound. I thought Surfa Rosa was considered their top album.

The biggest sleeper might be Ride the Lightning, a No. 14 seed with a big SportsJournalists.com fan base. Nebraska, a No. 16 seed, also qualifies.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I already see an eligibility problem. London Calling was Rolling Stone's #1 album of the decade when the list was released in '89. According to RS, the album was released stateside in January 1980. But that other linked list doesn't even have the album, apparently going with the UK release date of December 14, 1979.

Gonna need a ruling from the Committee as to whether The Clash can play.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's pretty clear that it can't because it's not on the list. It was originally released in 1979. It's not eligible. It's Southern Cal last football season.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, are we filling out brackets the whole way through or going round by round?

Draft saved Draft deleted