1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best (actor-potrayed) President

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Damn. I can't believe I forgot that one.

"Decaf! You pussy."

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

"Hail to the chief, if you don't, I'll have to kill you. I am the chief, so you better watch your step, you bastards." ;D

And for the record, Bartlet is my tops. Forget about the politics, I just wish every occupant of that office would be as intelligent, curious and concerned about morality. Shepard is good, too. And, yes, both written by one of my playwright heroes, Sorkin.

Somebody mentioned that Sheen played two presidents. Good catch. But Greenwood, too, has played POTUS twice: "Thirteen Days" and "National Treasure 2". Just a bit of trivia. He was damned good as Kennedy, but as an aside, Steven Culp was stellar as Bobby -- who he has played twice.

As for LBJ in "The Right Stuff," I'm not sure that really counts -- are we saying they had to be the prez in that specific movie, or playing somebody who at some point was president? LBJ was the Veep then. (For that matter, that would nix "Amistad", "My Fellow Americans" and others already mentioned.)

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

According to IMDB, Sheen also played a fictional U.S. President in the 1997 TV movie Medusa's Child. I thought somebody had mentioned one more other than Bartlet on The West Wing and Stillson in Dead Zone.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Sheen's up to four, then.
    Bartlet in "West Wing"
    Stillson in "Dead Zone"
    JFK in TV miniseries "Kennedy"
    and in something called "Family Attraction" in 1998. (source: imdb)

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That would be five counting the fictional one in Medusa's Child. IMDB doesn't have that character's name.

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

7. 1) President Jed.
    2) Gambon.
    3) Charlton Heston as Andy Jackson in "The Buccaneer," not in "The President's Lady."

8. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

Good to hear I'm not the only one who saw that miniseries back in the day. I thought he was excellent in it also.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

And a classic from 50 years ago, Ralph Bellamy as FDR in "Sunrise at Campobello"

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Double J

Double J Active Member

If, like me, you have young children who like to watch Disney Channel shows, you may agree that John D'Aquino of "Cory In The House" plays a pretty solid...

[​IMG]

"President of the United States!!!"

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Bill Pullman in Independence Day. He was great.

I'm also a huge Peter Sellers fan, so whomever mentioned Dr. Strangelove: I wholeheartedly agree. He was fantastic in that movie.

12. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

[​IMG]

Leo McGarry sits down with the best fictional president in history.

Draft saved Draft deleted