1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best (actor-potrayed) President

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Frank Caliendo as George W. Bush

Seriously ...

Fictional president — Martin Sheen in "The West Wing"

Real president — probably Gary Sinise as Harry Truman in the TNT miniseries; Gregory Peck as Lincoln in the "The Blue and the Gray" was also quite good

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Sheen also played Kennedy in a TV miniseries. So he's played a couple of presidents. plus he played Robert Kennedy in "The Missiles of October."

I'll still nominate Michael Douglas.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

While I can't disagree with either Shepherd and Bartlet, I can't believe we've gone 10 replies without mentioning President David Palmer, played splendidly by Dennis Haysbert.

I could make a case for any of those three being the best.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Can't hit a curveball, though. Bats get scared.

As for the topic at hand, I don't know if this surpasses Andrew Sheppard, but Bruce Greenwood as JFK in 13 Days was pretty good.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Yes, I remember that. And Bill Devayne played a pretty good Kennedy as well.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Oh, please. If David Palmer needs to hit a curveball he calls Jack Bauer, who nonchalantly swats it into the next area code with the pinkie finger of his off hand.

Not Of This Earth Division: President Laura Roslin, played by Mary McDonnell in Battlestar Galactica.

7. Sheen is the correct answer. But for Bartlet, not Stillson.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I love her in the role, but wayyy too Not Of This Earth.
    David Palmer as one of the strongest presidents.
    Andrew Shepherd as best president overall.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

It's Mary McDonnell.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in the history of mankind. "Mankind." That word should have new meaning for all of us today. We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore. We will be united in our common interests. Perhaps it's fate that today is the Fourth of July, and you will once again be fighting for our freedom... Not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution... but from annihilation. We are fighting for our right to live. To exist. And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: "We will not go quietly into the night!" We will not vanish without a fight! We're going to live on! We're going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I was about to say, was James Carville her vice president?

12. jps

jps Active Member

beat me to it, gutter.

Draft saved Draft deleted