1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Actor / Actress never to be nominated or win

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

Not sure if it was award worthy or not, but High Fidelity is one of my favorite movies of all time. Definitely in my top 10. I love John Cusak, too.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Man, I'm watching Blood Diamond right now (for probably the 20th time) and Djimon Hounsou got robbed in 2007 for Best Supporting Actor. Alan Arkin was good in Little Miss Sunshine, but Hounsou really was incredible. He was great in his other nominated role for In America, as well. Really, he's excellent in everything he does - Amistad, Gladiator, hell, even How to Train Your Dragon 2.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Of those I think will win one in the next 10 years, I'd be surprised if Amy Adams, Johnny Depp, Jessica Chastain don't walk away with one. Depp needs to pick better roles though.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Brad Renfro, The Client

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Sutherland has never been nominated for an Oscar. Golden Globe noms for MASH and Ordinary People.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Sutherland is surprising.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

From what I've read, Michael R. Jordan should have been nominated for Creed

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm going to go with Kurt Russell. Guy has had a hell of a career as a movie star basically starring in "B" movie roles.

He's the backup QB of actors you like better than the starter.

9. The Frank Reich of Actors?

I would have said Vince Evans, but I'm racist.

Ace likes this.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Peter O'Toole was 0 for 7. (Honorary Oscar doesn't county as a win, just an achievement)
    Leo has some catching up, but he's really young.

O'Toole was first nominated in 1963 and finally in 2007.

He lost in 1983 for My Favorite Year. One of the great all-time little movies.
    Ben Kingsley won for Gandhi. Also lost that year, Dustin Hoffman, Jack Jemmon, Paul Newman.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My Favorite Year was great. Or, more accurately, Peter O'Toole was over-the-top outstanding in a pretty good movie otherwise.

I think Ben Kingsley has proven that he is an amazingly versatile actor. Much more so than Dustin Hoffman, Jack Lemmon and Paul Newman. Though they are bigger movie stars.

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Kingsley was frightening in Sexy Beast. A long way from Ghandi.

Draft saved Draft deleted