1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Actor / Actress never to be nominated or win

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by heyabbott, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Lost in Translation' was a great movie, and Murray and Johannson were both really good in it.
    I think Carey could qualify for 'Eternal Sunshine,' and maybe for 'Truman Show' and 'Man in The Moon.'
    The only role I can think of for Buscemi that would be Oscar-worthy was 'Ghost World.'

There I go, though, naming white guys.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Buscemi should have been nominated for TBL.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I thought Buscemi was best in Trees Lounge.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like Buscemi, and I liked 'Trees Lounge,' but I don't think he was Oscar-worthy.
    And I love 'Lebowski.' Buscemi is great in it, but again I don't think it's an Oscar role or performance.

Just my two cents.

I absolutely love 'Being John Malkovich,' but I wouldn't give Cusak an Oscar nomination for his performance, although he was really good.
    Maybe Cusak for 'The Grifters'?

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"Grosse Pointe Blank" is my favorite Cusack movie, but he didn't deserve a nomination for that. Maybe for "Max," but he was overshadowed by Noah Taylor's phenomenal turn as Hitler.

Also, I could've sworn Murray won an Oscar for "Rushmore."

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'm just kidding on Buscemi in TBL. I think Rockhound in "Armageddon" is award-worthy in his own whacky way.

I would have thought Cusack would have picked up a nomination somewhere, but most of his movies are lighter stuff -- not award bait.

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I forgot about Lost in Translation, which I did like. Hyde Park is truly awful .

Liut likes this.
  8. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Another one: Jeff Daniels.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Cusack could have been nominated for "Love and Mercy" has this been a weaker year.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I really thought Tugg Speedman deserved at least a nomination for "Simple Jack."

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Robert Shaw should have been nominated for playing Quint in "Jaws." Brad Dourif, nominated for playing Billie Bibb in "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest," is the only supporting actor nominee whose role I remember that year.

EDIT TO ADD: I didn't realize Shaw was nominated in 1967 for "A Man for All Seasons."

12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I thought Murray's work in "Broken Flowers" was worth a nomination.

I could look it up but has Donald Sutherland ever received a nomination?

Draft saved Draft deleted