1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best 50 cents I ever spent

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JayFarrar, Apr 11, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

A condom.
    Nah, just beating some of ya'll to the punch.
    Actually, the local dollar theater --I thought you said it was 50 cents? -- let me finish.
    The local dollar theater does 50 cent matinees, not that I knew that, and I was needing to kill some time this afternoon so I went and saw the matinee of the Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
    It was fantastic.
    Just a beautiful movie. Long, but not in a bad way. Made me want to see more. I was a little disappointed as I saw Brad Pitt get younger because I knew that as got younger the movie was coming to a close.
    Seemed more like an indie/vanity project with a $100 million budget and some of the biggest names in Hollywood.
    I've read the book/illustrated short story and the movie seemed like a real upgrade, I didn't quite get the Hurricane Katrina subplot in the movie though. Didn't seem like it was needed.
    All and all, I can say with the greatest degree of confidence, that the two quarters I dropped into the clerk's hand was the best 50 cents I have ever spent in my life.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Stupid Forrest Gump remake. [/IJAG]

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Tebow, I haven't spent 50¢ on a rubber since the late 80s.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was just going to write "Maybe I would have liked it better if it only cost 50 cents when I saw it."

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Does that mean the price has gone up, or you just haven't had the need to buy one since the late '80s?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

This was not what I expected it to be.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Considering what an unending marathon that movie is, your expenditure per minute qualifies as the bargain of the year.

Although, every dollar theater I've ever been in smells like vomit. I don't even want to know what a 50-cent theater smells like.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Nephew had a good take on the framing use of Katrina. Hell if I can remember it now. Loved the movie. Got chills during the Katrina parts, especially the water beginning to pour into the city after the levee breaks.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

But yeah ...
    50 cent.
    50 cent film lonnnnnnnng.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

When I was in college back home, the local second-run theatre had $1 movies every Tuesday night. We went every week, no matter what was playing. Saw every big hit of the spring of '92 there: "My Cousin Vinny," "White Men Can't Jump," "Kuffs." OK fine I paid full price to see "Kuffs" opening night. My shame is your amusement.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

As usual.

Draft saved Draft deleted