1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best 2013 movie you've seen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 9, 2014.

1. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

based on the answers here i saw saving mr. banks last night and i really liked it. so thanks. i'm somewhat confused as to how it was left off the oscars' best movie list. i wonder if its just a reaction to the extent to which it is a movie put out by the disney corporation and idealizes walt disney. which is legitimately weak. but the movie had some great stuff in it.

i feel like i'd that about a lot of movies this year—nebraska, inside llewyn davis, american hustle. flawed, but with some great stuff in it. the only movie that i saw that was amazing from end-to-end was gravity.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

42 might have been the worst movie I saw last year. Truly amazing how bad it was.

3. Mizzougrad96

It was one of the only movies I saw twice in the theaters last year. My kids loved it.

I think Despicable Me 2 was better though.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I pretty much know this movie by heart now that my 21-month-old has discovered "The Monster Show," as he calls it. It has not gotten tiresome yet, which is a credit to the creators.

5. Mizzougrad96

The "Monsters" movies are just good, light fun... Based on the success of the last one, I'm guessing we're going to see quite a few more of them, which isn't a bad thing.

Despicable Me 2 was freaking hilarious. Maybe the funniest movie I saw last year. My kids got fart guns for Christmas.

We're the Millers was another one I loved. Laughed my ass off.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's not how Pixar works, thankfully, or we'd be on a seventh movie about a cute little fish named Nemo by now.

7. Mizzougrad96

The Nemo problem was they pissed off Albert Brooks and he wanted no part of any sequel. I think they're working on a sequel centering around Dory.

They made three Toy Story movies and two Cars movies. I'll be surprised if we don't see a third Monsters movie in the next 3-5 years.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

A third one, sure. "Quite a few more," I doubt it.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Seems safe to assume Dory will have a significant role. The sequel's title is "Finding Dory."

According to IMDB, Brooks is back in this one.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

I just watched 12 Years a Slave and Blue Jasmine. 12 Years is an excellent movie. Blue Jasmine was a waste of time.

11. Mizzougrad96

I saw 'Inside Llewyn Davis' and I don't know how I feel about it.

It's very well-acted and it kept my attention, but I don't think it's in the same class as the top movies of the year.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Disagree on both 'Blue Jasmine' and 'Inside Llewyn Davis.'
    Both very good.

'Inside Llewyn Davis' is small and quiet, but still very good.
    With 'Amercan Hustle' and 'Wolf of Wall Street,' this was the season of loud movies with big, over-the-top performances.

Draft saved Draft deleted