1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best 2013 movie you've seen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed the movie, and Amy Adams was fantastic.

2. Wolf of Wall Street is the most fun movie I saw. Maybe not the best. If it was 30 mins shorter might have been the best.
    American Hustle was fabulous. I'm sure 12 Years a Slave was well done but haven't seen it.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

A truly excellent movie. Saw it this afternoon and it's officially my pick for Best 2013 I've seen. I know I should pick "Twelve Years a Slave" (and it's extremely close) but Emma Thompson's performance really got under my skin. "Enough Said" would probably be my pick for #3.

4. Surprised by the love for Mr. Banks here.

I've seen a ton of movies this year but I'm not sure there's one that really stands out. I liked Wolf of Wall Street, 12 Years a Slave, American Hustle and Gravity amongst the ones that are being mentioned for the major awards.

I just saw Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom and I really enjoyed it. I don't think it's the best movie I saw this year but I thought Elba was outstanding.

The movie that surprised me the most (in a good way) was Walter Mitty. I thought it was well done and it far exceeded my expectations.

Her just arrived in theaters near me so I plan to check it out. I think as a whole it was a down year for movies. I thought 2012 (for the '13 awards) was a great year.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm notoriously bad about seeing movies, but I actually saw a lot (for me, at least) in 2013:

In Your Dreams
    Birthday Cake
    Star Trek Into Darkness
    Oz

I started watching Sound City but haven't finished it yet.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Anchorman 2
    Last Vegas

Two very funny, enjoyable movies.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Incredibles and Ratatouille can be added to that list.

8. 93Devil

The singing is amazing. I listen to this soundtrack A LOT with my daughter, and Bell, Gad, Menzel and others are OMG good.

What is really amazing is they altered the character of Elsa from a villain to a protagonist because of the Let it Go song. I honestly think they could work the trolls and the cause of the "power" Elsa has into a very easy sequel.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never saw Elsa as a villain. She was always more of a victim of her abilities and the pressure put on her to hide them. That said, "Let It Go" is outstanding.

We got my daughter the soundtrack. She has been either playing it or singing the songs on her own constantly. So far, she hasn't driven us mad with it yet, which is a credit to how good the music is in that movie. The best is she did a little performance of "Do You Want to Build a Snowman," complete with writing a key plot point (I don't want to spoil it) on the white board as it happens in the music.

I agree that there is plenty of sequel territory there.

10. 93Devil

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Elsa_the_Snow_Queen

Following the casting of Idina Menzel, Elsa's characterization underwent several alterations. According to Menzel, she was originally scripted as a one-dimensional antagonist but was gradually revised as a more vulnerable, multifaceted figure. Menzel further described her character as "extremely complicated and misunderstood".

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ah. I misread your post. I thought you meant that the character seemed like a villain up to that point, which really didn't make sense.

Sounds like the change made for a much more enjoyable story. I just read an online summary of the original Hans Christian Anderson story. Frozen barely even resembles it.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I saw Enough Said mentioned here... Very good movie. I've liked Holofcenter since Walking and Talking came out and I liked Friends with Money as well...

Anyone who works that often with Catherine Keener must be doing something right.

Draft saved Draft deleted