1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Berry Tramel on Barry Switzer turning 70...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chazp, Oct 7, 2007.

1. chazp

chazp Active Member

Really enjoyed this column. I've enjoyed Tramel's work for years. It reads at times like a feature, at times like a column.

The link....

http://newsok.com/article/3140939/

2. Tramel is great.
    No, I'm not him, though I wish I could write like he does.

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Switzer can take it. He's a man. He's 70. ;D

Seriously, that's a really fine piece.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I gotta say that "Bootlegger's Boy" remains one of my favorite sports biographies/autobiographies.

5. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

Really well done.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

I join you in that, "I wish I could write like he does," group.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hard to believe he was done with college football at age 51.

8. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

No disrespect to Tramel, but Switzer MAKES a good story. Just the way he is. I remember catching him in Norman at halftime of the OU-TCU game going down the elevator...TCU was winning. The elevator was stopping at every floor. He's looking impatient.... and turns and said "and I was going to get down to the lockeroom and tell Stoops to insert the @#$@# wishbone because whatever the hell that was they showed the first half, it sure aiin't an offense."

9. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Really good column. Nothing knew for Tramel. Like many have said before, I wish I could be as good a writer as he is. I've met him a couple of times and he's a nice guy. He's much better than his counterpart, who we have already talked about at length in the Gundy posts.

10. Writing about Switzer is like putting a ball on a tee -- he's one of my favorite people to interview, ever -- but Tramel did a great job, too. I enjoyed it. Nice job, Berry. They don't make coaches like they used to. (See Gundy, Mike.)

Which begs a question. There was another thread on here about how appropriate it is for metro newspapers to hire columnists from outside, because they don't tend to know the back stories of these people. There's no way someone from outside nails the Switzer column like Berry did. He knew exactly what to leave out and put in, and the column just flowed. There's something to be said for that.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

I agree he's better than his counterpart, but she'll be better known for a while.

12. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

She will be better known for a little while, but it won't be because of her outstanding work. I wouldn't want to be known for what she has become popular for in recent weeks. I would rather be Tramel -- write great articles and not become the story instead of writing a crappy column and being kown as the reporter the coach yelled at.

Draft saved Draft deleted