1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bernstein to reporters: Quit rushing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

And you know what that means: good investigative journalism is fine unless it costs overtime.

2. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

Wasn't it the weekly Montgomery Sentinel in Rockville, Md.?

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Excellently played, sir.

4. I've worked on big stories on my own time and it was because I wanted to ... when you are truly on a great story the time card is just a piece of paper, sleep and leisure time can wait. I believe in that, and I've got a family ... nobody's saying work an entire Saturday or Sunday when you're supposed to be off, but stay late an hour or take your lunch break to get what you need on a big story.

You can always comp it later if and when things are slow. But if you've got a great story, you don't let anything stop you.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is there a shop anywhere that doesn't have the wink, wink, nudge, nudge comp time rule? I know my guys might put in 50 hours per during football or basketball season. But I also know they're still getting paid for 40 while working 30 in the summer.

For that matter, don't we all waste huge amounts of time on the clock that could be used on a great story? Quit checking your e-mail at work. Don't jigger with your fantasy team lineup. Quit posting on SJ.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

F*** it, then.

Shareholders! Thirty percent! La, la, la. Why aren't you doing more for nothing, little man?

Jeeves? My car.

7. Spartakate

Spartakate New Member

My old shop in Colorado did (on sports side), until they started going to electronic time clocks, where the reporters can only get it changed by an editors approval (like if you live near where a meeting is happening and you don't want to drive in to punch the clock). I bet it fucked the sports department something fierce.

News side I spoke with an editor about comp time and she said we couldn't do it because I could sue. I just wanted to do good journalism and not work myself to the bone in the process. Comp time isn't much to ask is it?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

what'd she say again?

9. Time clocks have no place in journalism.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The Montgomery County Sentinel, and yes, that's correct.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Modern newspaper executives who cater to shareholders above all . . . have no place in journalism.

12. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

Modern newspaper executives who cater to shareholders above all ARE journalism.

Draft saved Draft deleted