1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bernstein to reporters: Quit rushing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Inky_Wretch, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is it ironic that his speech to reporters about doing more in-depth work was condensed down to just seven graphs?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071011/ap_en_bu/people_bernstein_4

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Bernstein to reporters: Work for free

3. Unfortunately, he's right. If you want to do in-depth stuff and really craft what you're working on and research topics, you can't do it on the clock these days (or maybe in past days, either). Editors want to see tangible production. They want byline counts (maybe not official byline counts kept, but they want to see production they can touch, taste and feel. Immediately).

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

And they want you to work for free covering Little League.

5. I'm definitely not saying it's right. It's frustrating. Meanwhile, hiring managers are being asked why they have so many reporters in metro.

All they want is people scampering from story to story to story. They can't stomach the idea of someone taking a week or two to really nail down a story. They can't stomach the idea of down time built into the job. Chains today have this mistaken idea that this is a 9 to 5 job, with 9-to-5-style productivity - steady and always measurable.

6. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I'm having this problem with my "chain" right now.

7. And if you try to argue that you're using the time for research or something legit like that, you get a look like you're trying to pull a fast one.

8. I agree with Bernstein. It takes time to do a really great, in-depth story.
    I can only speak for sports, but every editor I’ve had wants to see tangible production. I can’t remember the last time I’ve had two or three weeks away from the daily grind to research, interview and really craft a great story. Every lengthy story I recall writing has been in the midst of day-to-day duties.
    Maybe that’s not in my job description. Maybe times have changed. But I don’t think a “fast-food” mentality is good for journalism.

9. I find a good feature every now and then, and I put in time off the clock to get it right. Then I sell it to the magazine I also freelance for and make $75-100. If the paper wants more shorter stories while I'm on the clock, that's what they'll get. I'll keep freelancing on the side.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

95 percent of us have quantity over quality jobs. Last I heard, most newspapers don't have a money tree to allow for consistent thoroughness he thinks of.

The naive part of us would agree with every word he says. But that's why it's naive.

11. Fourth and 8

Fourth and 8 Member

That's bullshit. He is truly old school - not that that is bad, but let a superior catch you working off the clock as an hourly employee and the accountant ass holes will be flying down to shit on your head, not to mention the legal beagles.

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

What is this "clock" you speak of?

Draft saved Draft deleted