1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bernie Kosar files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Jun 19, 2009.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

What a mess. This story, like most Cleveland stories, will not end well.

2. ClevelandWill3

ClevelandWill3 New Member

I know Kosar and he is a great guy. I know he seems slow from the outside, but he is very intelligent and funny when you really talk to him.

That being said he was waaaayyyyy too generous with money given to friends, family and charities.

It is sad but you have to think Bernie will end up ok with money anyway. Hes still a legend in Cleveland and Miami.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

IS a good story, because it's not the typical DLB "enable the pathetic Hurricane" piece.

4. "It is difficult for any man to retire when so much of his identity and self-worth and validation is tied up in his job, what he does invariably becoming a lopsided amount of who he is."

This kinda sums up how a lot of ex-journos feel in this job-slashing era (excluding myself recently).

A great piece of work by LeBatard. I hope Kosar founds his way out of his rough spot.

5. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Hard to fell bad for the guy and his finances when he is walking around a "mansion".

6. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Wrong era there Scribe. Kosar played under Schnellenberger.

7. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Under secret surveillance by the Jimster.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good stuff from LeBatard.

9. I Digress

I Digress Guest

One of the best things I've seen from LeBatard in years...gives a pretty good look at the insulated life star athletes live.....Bernie held onto his money a lot longer than some athletes and part of his problem appears to be that he was too generous. Not sure why anyone would sneer at that....sure, he has a mansion, that he can't sell in this florida market. It's way too big and that he doesn't know how to take care of. Doesn't sound like a wonderful thing to me.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Give me a break.

He could sell that mansion.

But he won't, because he just stiffed everyone by declaring Chapter 11 and the house is always protected.

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Hopefully at least ONE of the people Kosar was kind enough to help will offer to give him some sort of bailout. Say what you want about Bernie, call him an idiot or whatever, but he truly is a great guy who has done lots of good in his life.

Does he cut loaves of bread with an ax? Yes.
    Does he know how to iron his clothes or start a dishwasher? No.

But that doesn't make him a bad person. :)

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I have to admit ... cutting bread with an axe would kind of rock.

Draft saved Draft deleted