1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bernie Kosar files for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Jun 19, 2009.

1. In 1985, he carefully avoided filing paperwork with the league but said he wanted to be drafted and play for the Browns. Teams in Houston and Minnesota threatened to sue the NFL for not making Kosar eligible to other teams.

He bypassed the normal draft and instead went in the supplemental draft after his (redshirt) sophomore season at Miami in 1985.

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Does this mean there's no party this weekend at Bernie's?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Thanks.

So, what, he graduated in three years thus becoming eligible for the NFL after the draft had already been held?

A team loses their pick in the corresponding round in the next years draft if the use a supplemental pick, right?

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

That's a fine piece of hitting.

5. Colton

Colton Active Member

Kosar will again be doing the Browns' preseason games on TV this season.

Guess it might be gratis.

6. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Hey, Bernie, trust me man, take the bonus money with the USFL first before making the jump to the NFL. Then sock that bonus money away for 25 years. And, don't ever bet against me in the Super Bowl."

And, when Kosar DID go to the NFL... let's just say that the SI Jinx came true, but 24 years later:

[​IMG]

Million dollar arm? I hope for BK's sake that inflation is helping that appraisal.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Actually, what makes Bernie's descent even more surprising is that he WAS surrounded by people who know/knew WTF they were doing, going all the way back to massaging the draft so he could land in Cleveland. His brother is a financial genius/guru who was a venture capitalist with a ton of huge acquistions. Big, big-time player and almost surely the backbone of the operation when Bernie was talking about buying the expansion Browns in the mid-90s.

Not sure how he managed to crap this all away, but he seemed to have his stuff together and so did everyone else around him.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I believe that is correct.

9. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/1106965.html

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I liked that story, though I know I'm not supposed to because it's gauche to like LeBatard here.

Course, I'm more than a little biased as both a Miami U and Cleveland Browns fan. The line about not wanting to get divorced got me.

11. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Another Jimmy Johnson success story.....line up there Bernie, behind Dexter Manley....

12. very strong piece by Dan

Draft saved Draft deleted