1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bernard Goldberg Takes Out CBS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

April 12, 2007 -- FORMER CBS News reporter Bernard Goldberg is biting the hand that once fed him in a new memoir, taking wicked shots at network CEO Les Moonves and anchor Katie Couric.

In "Crazies to the Left of Me, Wimps to the Right," from HarperCollins, Goldberg says Moonves made the "dopiest statement in memory" when he called Couric "the Jackie Robinson of network news" after hiring her as the first solo woman evening anchor.

"Sorry, Les, but comparing a woman who gets paid big bucks to read the news to Jackie Robinson, a genuine American hero, disrespects everything Robinson stands for in America," Goldberg writes. "The problem is that Leslie Moonves inhabits a shallow subculture in America, a long plastic hallway where liberals run free and say the dumbest things. It's a place where they abuse history for no other reason than to satisfy their short-term needs."

After detailing the bigotry Robinson put up with as Major League Baseball's first black player, Goldberg fumes: "Let's look at the indignities that Katie Couric must contend with. There's that pesky $15 million salary. And those nasty limousines that whisk her about town. And, when she's on the road, CBS actually makes her stay in the most luxurious suites at only the finest hotels. And don't forget those dreadful Park Avenue A-list parties where fawning guests hang on her every word."

Goldberg - who contributed to the "CBS Evening News" and "48 Hours" for nearly three decades, won seven Emmys and is now a Fox News commentator - also takes on Couric's predecessor, Dan Rather, for clinging to his job in the wake of the phony George W. Bush-Air National Guard story even after four of his colleagues got axed.

Riffing on "courage," Rather's nightly, one-word sign-off, Goldberg writes: "How could a man of courage, a man who puts loyalty above almost everything else, have let them leave without going right out the door with them . . . Real courage requires real risk, sometimes even sacrifice . . . Dan, like so many other elites on the left, talks a good game. They all stand for the 'right' things. As long as it doesn't cost them anything."

Flacks for CBS and Couric had no comment. Rather's rep didn't get back to us.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Pandering to the right is a smart business move, I gotta tell you.

3. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

He's Bernard Goldberg. That does.

4. jboy

jboy Guest

Finally, someone brave enough to take on Katie Couric, that horrible monster of a person who has caused so much damage around the world. I'm eagerly awaiting a book to take down that dangerous son of a bitch Jim Lehrer.

5. cortez

cortez Member

Goldberg's a bitter gasbag who's trying to become the Jewish O'Reilly.
    What irritates me more is the stupid play on the Stealer's Wheel song.
    Gerry Rafferty should kick his ass all the way to Baker Street

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is gonna get good when Fenian discovers this thread.

3, 2, 1 ...

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You spew enough bitter shit, and not even the name will save you.

8. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Other than, “Oh yeah? My dad can beat up your dad,” I honestly think that this is my first post on a differing idealogies thread.
    It will also be my last. I shouldn't have done it in the first place, because I had earlier told myself I wouldn't get involved in the pointless back-and-forth sniping that goes on in these things.
    Carry on. :)

9. jboy

jboy Guest

So if we say that Platyrynochos has sex with llamas and he was raised by poodles, you won't respond? Cool. You freaking pervert.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah? Sez you!

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, for god's sake, give me a break. If you can't deal with some debate and maybe even a little prepubescent name-calling, yes, maybe the '80s music threads are the way to go.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Once you go llama, you never switch to alpacas.

Draft saved Draft deleted