1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Berkeley To The Marines : Stay Out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Or, maybe they backed completely off ...

Didn't even take an hour.

Boom ...

[​IMG]

Marines going to strip clubs and bars? Never in my life have I heard of such a thing! How dare our country's defenders sully themselves in that way?!?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I've heard they had problems with strip club recruiters in Orange county.....

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Strip Club is the Non-PC term for Gentlemen's Club.

If you think about it, probably the best place to recruit Marines are strip clubs.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Could not agree with you more.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This is a city that welcomes nut cases from around the world but officialy labels Marines “uninvited and unwelcome intruders".

It won't be over until an official apoligy is issued.

I urge all of you to sign the petition.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

What does this mean?

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You're mischaracterizing things a bit there. The City did not say "Marines" are unwelcome, they said Marine RECRUITERS are. You know, the guys who patrol the schools trying to sign kids up, reportedly sometimes with inducements and promises about their tours that end up being false. There is a difference.

Frankly, they might be doing the recruiters a favor, given that city's political leanings. I doubt they're gonna find many Berkeley parents embracing the idea of their child becoming Marines. They'd probably get more overall numbers if they just re-allocated those resources to more fertile recruiting grounds elsewhere.

8. Boom_70

Not resolved until apoligy is issued. 2 mil of Federal earmarks still in trouble.

jg - the word ironic comes to mind.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Last time I checked Marine recruiters were, in fact, Marines.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Finally someone nailed it. They're wasting their time in Berkeley by and large.

This applies to Canada as well, so before someone starts shrieking "Anti American! Anti-American!" military recruiters make used car salesmen look like Presbyterian Ministers.

11. Boom_70

To my knowledge also and the Berkeley city council labeled them " uninvited and unwelcome intruders"

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Um, it's not a semantics issue.

They were objecting to Marine RECRUITERS in their city.

I'm sure if it was a Marines softball, football or hockey team, they probably wouldn't care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.