1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Berkeley To The Marines : Stay Out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In a time where we are concerned with human rights and freedom all over the world, in our own back yard the City of Berkeley told the Marines that they did not want them in their city. Our defenders of freedom not wanted in their own backyard- disgusting to say the least.

After great backlash they have backed off a bit but not completely.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Re: Berkely To The Marines : Stay Out

I'm assuming you're talking about Marine recruiters Boom, as per this story.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/07/berkeley.protests/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

3. Boom_70

Re: Berkely To The Marines : Stay Out

That's the one. Here is a link to a petition that can be signed. I urge you all to sign it. I am also writing my congressmen and senators and urging them to revoke Federal funding for the City of Berkeley.

http://www.moveamericaforward.org/index.php/MAF/Petition/Berkeley2008/

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, the First Amendment gives the city the right to make that call.

I will sign no such petition. In fact, I'd sign its opposite.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Marines also happen to be one of the very entities that protects our freedom of speech. But yeah, let's kick 'em out.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They quit misrepresenting the number of tours of duty a single recruit might be subject to under the current fantastic conditions, they might not meet such hostility.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sorry, but you don't penalize an entire city because of some protesters you disagree with. That's going way too far. You might not like the message, but unpopular speech is still free speech.

This is America, you can protest the Marines, who help protect your free speech. We're not China.

Or would you rather us be China?

8. Boom_70

It's not "some protesters", it's the Berkely City Council that passed a resolution so it's an official decree.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

But as the story said, not everyone in the town agrees with that stance. You penalize those people, too.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If those people fail to vote this collection of fuckwits out of office they're condoning it.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

So if they're still in office with 50.5 percent of the vote, that 49.5 percent who voted the other way condone it? Really?

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Is it even possible to revoke federal funding for just one town? How would that work? Interstate highways come to an abrupt stop at the Berkely city limits or no social security checks get mailed to people with Berkeley addresses?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.