1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Berkeley students plan "bake sale" in response to legislation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 27, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What isn't?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

All of it. Unless merely opposing affirmative action is racist now?

3. RickStain

Somewhere along the way "racist" became code for "an opinion relating to race issues that I disagree with."

4. TheSportsPredictor

Nah, they're using their opinion that something else is racist to bring out their own racist tendencies and actually do something racist.

5. RickStain

Begging the question. Again: What is racist about it?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The way California works, the Asians should be paying more than the whites for these cupcakes. Asian-Americans make up 45 percent of Berkeley's enrollment to 31 percent for whites. That is all.

7. TheSportsPredictor

Tough to answer questions from someone who clearly hasn't read the article.

8. RickStain

Ah, the classic "If someone doesn't see it the same way I do, they must not have all the facts." Cognitive dissonance is a beautiful thing.

I read every word of it. I know that the bake sale organizers described it as "racist." It's still not.

9. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Rick, they still haven't answered the question. You know why it's "racist?" Because they say it is. There is nothing racist about this, nothing at all...but the race card has been so cheapened by this point (by people like TheSportsPredictor) that it really doesn't make much of a splash. When he can't defend his point or when he doesn't like something he claims racism and moves on.

10. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

Why should anyone skeptically view vociferous opposition to a policy designed to increase minority student enrollment?

I'm sure these YAFer types are planning a "My rich dad is an alum and so I got into this school even though I'm an idiot" bake sale.

11. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

So that is ALL affirmative action is about? It is a program designed to raise minority student enrollment, and nothing else?

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Always interesting and good for a laugh to see the "life's not fair" realpolitik types complaining that Affirmative Action "isn't fair."

Draft saved Draft deleted