1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Benoit autopsy results are in

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Big Game

Big Game Member

What constitutes "subhuman activity" to you?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Steroid fueled gorillas hitting each other with chairs, tables, chains, etc.
    for starters.

And again, please tell me how TNA, ROH and PWG are differeent than WWE.

3. Big Game

Big Game Member

I'll add "people who speak on subjects they know very little about as if they're an authority" as another subhuman activity.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Once again, I have addressed WWE only!

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me what TNA, ROH and PWG are (I don't even know what the letters stand for) and how they are different from the obscenity that is WWE.

I guess none of you wrestling fans is capable of telling me that...so maybe my subhuman comment is closer to the truith than I thought..

5. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Re: Benoit results are in

Spnited:

The Benoit murder-suicide was the final straw for me as far as wanting to be a fan of pro wrestling. Benoit was just a workhorse in the ring (fake or not) and he was just a hell of an entertaining performer. I think his actions -- for those of us who followed it closely -- is just something none of us ever saw coming. Makes me realize that I can't take any of these guys seriously at all (and yes, I realize not all wrestlers are going to do this, but if Benoit can do it, then certainly others with as clean a persona as Benoit can do it too), but I know there are people who care enough about pro wrestling that they simply just want to see WWE and the other organizations take positive steps to help these fantastic performers live a longer, decent life (personally, there's guys in the biz now who I think should quit like WWE's Jeff Hardy who you can almost bet will be in a wheelchair someday because of all of his crazy stunts).

I enjoyed pro wrestling because of the athletic ability, the sometimes funny characters (Claws for Concern is based off of a 1970s wrestler by the name of Baron Von Raschke -- who is alive and well in his late 60s, I might add) and once in a while, a storyline that would be entertaining and make you want to watch the action. For some people, pro wrestling is their TV addiction of choice. For some it's "reality TV" and for others it's "Lost" or "24" or "Grey's Anatomy" or for many on SportsJournalists.com it's the NFL and all of the other sports.

For NFL fans, when they first found out about Vick's troubles with the dogfighting, I'm pretty sure his legion of fans (even his detractors) were shocked and sickened to find out that he could be involved in such an atrocious act of cruelty. Benoit's actions are similar and just as inhumane.

The NFL will go on, regardless of what happens to Vick.

Pro wrestling will go on. It won't go away as long as the fans and sponsors don't leave. But it would be one hell of a great thing to see pro wrestlers not die every few weeks or months. This is as much about seeing the wrestlers take responsibility for their own actions as it is seeing Vince McMahon and his family realize that in order to be successful in the future that it's going to take both sides to do the right thing for not only their occupation of choice, but also to see to it that their employees are able to live a healthier and longer life.

6. Big Game

Big Game Member

Does it really matter what your opinion is of those other federations? I mean, what, are you gonna wave your hand over them and decree them worthy of human status if it meets your criteria? What does it matter? They're pro wrestling organizations and, your arguments have damned the business to a subhuman standard.
    If you want more info on the Ring of Honor (ROH), Pro Wrestling Guerrilla (PWG) and TNA (Total Nonstop Action), go to Wikipedia.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, as am I. I was interested in finding out what a non-pro wrestling fan thought was a solution and you gave me your opinion, so, thanks. :)

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Why would or should a non-fan have a solution to the problems?

The problems are steroids, pain-killer addiction, misogynism etc. etc. etc.

Enjoy your "sport." I choose not to

8. One way that Ring of Honor is different. Since getting their pay-per-view deal, they have signed 20 or so wrestlers to contracts... which include health coverage.

WWE and TNA view their guys as "independent contractors" and thus they must pay for such benefits out of pocket.

ROH does not, to my knowledge, test for drugs or steroids.

9. Big Game

Big Game Member

Exactly ... so, why would/should a non-fan despise something so much that he or she sees a tragedy and takes it as an opportunity to call for the death of the business. I thought you'd have an opinion, since you seemed so passionate in calling for the end of it, but I guess I was mistaken.
    I just think it's funny that in nearly every segment of society and most pro sport organizations, there have been drug issues, steroids, premature deaths and murderers. Yet rarely have I heard people call for the end of their respective professions.

Saturday Night Live has endured a number of deaths during its run, should it be canceled?
    The NFL has employed murderers, steroid users and dog fight promoters. I don't hear people calling for the end of it.
    In about 10 years, when former MLB players start dying off due to the use of steroids in the 80s and 90s, will people be calling for the end of baseball?

By the way, I noticed you put the word "sport" in quotes. I have been very careful not to use that term because it is obviously not a sport. I think that pro wrestlers should be considered athletes, though, but they don't compete in a sport.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Whatever you say Big Game.

11. Big Game

Big Game Member

Ummmmmmmm ... ok. Great response.
    You weren't interested in a debate, at all.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

TNA doesn't have a drug plan. If they did, they would not have snapped up Kurt Angle 30 seconds after being released by WWE.

They run three shows a month, a PPV and tv tapings the first and third Mondays in a given month. However, their matches are far more violent than what WWE has been airing, and sooner or later, someone will die in their ring.

Draft saved Draft deleted