1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Benoit autopsy results are in

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flash, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

All three bodies test positive for Xanax, which means the son was sedated prior to his death.

The only steroid present in Benoit's system was testosterone. Elevated levels, yes, but no other anabolic steroids.

No conclusive evidence as to why this tragedy happened.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Here's AP's earliest version of the story:

Investigators said Tuesday they had found steroids and other drugs in the body of pro wrestler Chris Benoit, who killed his wife and young son last month before hanging himself.

Also found in Benoit were the anti-anxiety drug Xanax and the painkiller hydrocodone, according to a statement from the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. The GBI said Benoit tested negative for blood alcohol.

Edit: To be fair, I'm putting a link to the AP's story that will obviously be updated as the day goes on. The stuff above was what I saw six minutes after it was posted.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070717/ap_on_re_us/wrestler_dead

3. Flash

Flash Guest

Nancy's BAC was at .18 or around there.

4. Big Game

Big Game Member

Man, the media at the press conference is hounding the doctor into saying that the testosterone caused 'roid rage.'
    Maybe ... just maybe ... Benoit was off his rocker?

5. Big Game

Big Game Member

I'm watching the press conference right now and the doctor said there were no steroids found in his system, just an elevation of testosterone. But he was quick to point out that an elevated level of testosterone doesn't explain what happened in that house.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Yeah, I noticed that. He says no steroids but testosterone and they had to guide it towards 'roid rage anyway.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Perhaps having the painkillers in him will help shift at least some of the focus away from steroids to the just as real and just as harmful painkillers as an addiction. Regardless, no matter what the toxicology reports revealed, there won't be any "real" closure because the only three who know are dead.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Clearly there's a portion of the media that wants if not needs this to be a case of roid rage. Doesn't seem likely, though.

I'm guessing Benoit's been on Xanax and hydrocodone for some time. Dave Meltzer said (and Omar referenced this elsewhere) that if there's hydrocodone in the system, its half-life means it would have to have been injected Friday of the weekend in question.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Isn't Xanax supposed to calm you down?

It's pretty rare when a news story is so depressing that I turn it off or refuse to listen. This is one where I hear about what he did to his kid and my whole body goes numb...

10. Big Game

Big Game Member

This bubblehead on FOX News couldn't fathom why Daniel Benoit was sedated.
    I think it's pretty apparent Chris Benoit drugged his son so he wouldn't know exactly what was happening during the murder. Geez. Sometimes it's embarassing to call these people our peers.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Aye, Claws. The truth died with them.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

His testosterone/epitestosterone ratio was 59:1. NFL failure is 4:1, and WWE failure is 10:1. Which according to the DA means he's been injecting testosterone. Prolonged use of steroids can and usually does fuck with your ability to naturally produce it.

Draft saved Draft deleted