1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bennington Banner SE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pops, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Isn't sports relegated to inside the paper, though? It doesn't get its own section and rarely gets color -- only on Saturdays. And there's no Sunday paper.

The circulation also is on a slow ride to nowhere. It's not 8,500. More like 7,000.

2. blueview

blueview Member

With your knowledge, this gig might be right up your alley. :)

3. Gillette237

Gillette237 Member

Blueview, I see enough of Bennington around the holidays to know it's a nice place to visit. Maybe a few years ago I would have considered it, but I'm happy where I am now.

X, I remember that Mt. Anthony/Rutland game, and I know Dan Sleeman. Played against him in high school. That guy would just pop 3-pointers all night. In baseball he hit me in the head with a soft curveball that never broke, which probably explains why I ended up in sports journalism.

Gator makes Bennington sound like it's in the sticks, but it's not so bad. Albany, N.Y. isn't too far, nor is Rutland, if you're looking for a mall or the typical chain crap. You cover Mt. Anthony, you'll go to Rutland plenty of times. If you ski, there are plenty of great mountains within a short drive. If you hike, the Long Trail passes just to the east of town.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

MassMOCA in North Adams isn't too far, either. You can go see David Byrne's art gallery.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

didnt make it want to sound like it was a bad place to live, because i lived there for four years and north adams for five years. but if you want city life, you dont want to be there. you have to enjoy the slower pace of life (which i did for a long, long time) to enjoy yourself here. oh, and rutland is an armpit, that's a place i will speak out against. albany has some great times, though.

again, this is a great job if youre looking to break into the editor business, or if youre looking to land a later gig as a copy editor at a metro. people are nice and madison's brewery (where i bartended for a long time) has a delicious selection of beers and is right across the street.

6. Songbird

Madison's! Haha.

I've got a funny story about that place I'll tell another time. Not in the mood to be disparaging this morning.

7. long_snapper

long_snapper Member

What, no sports at Bennington College? ???

Italian-American club in Rutland is a hot spot

8. Songbird

I *covered* a *soccer* game at Bennington College once. Oh, it was just a bunch of rich boys and girls having fun. No refs. Just kicking the ball with the occasional foray into the woods to toke out. The story of Brett Easton Ellis when he went to Bennington is that he'd go to parties and skulk in the corner watching people instead of socializing. He sort of weirded people out. That's when they had the famous "Dress To Get Laid" parties. The new regime banned that circa 1995. I believe B.E.E. based "Less Than Zero" on his Bennington experiences. One night I went rollerskating down in the Bennington College catacombs with a girl whose on-again off-again boyfriend eventually tried to run me over in the parking lot of Mickey's Pizza, which burned down a few years ago. The Banner staff frequented the bar atop Mickey's every night when I worked there. That was a true newsie's drinking haunt.

Ahh, Bennington lore.

Draft saved Draft deleted