1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bennington Banner SE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pops, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Pops

Pops Member

Looks like sports nuts are in season ...

Company: Bennington Banner
    Position: Seeking sports nut (editor)
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: September 17, 2006
    Job ID: 670594

Description:
    Seeking sports nut (editor)
    Can you hit like Mays and run like Hayes? Then the Bennington Banner, an 8,500-circulation six-day-a-week daily, has an immediate full-time opening for you. The Banner needs a sports editor, a key team player who must do it all: Cover local sports, design Quark pages, take game call-ins and plan a deep sports coverage calendar. The Banner coverage area includes five high schools and Southern Vermont College, a division III school. The successful candidate should have a love for all things sports, a background in aggressive news gathering, a track record of producing cutting-edge writing, familiarity with AP style, experience with page layout and design, and have an uncanny eye for grammar, punctuation and syntax. The sports editor will be expected to work closely with the assistant sports editor and the rest of the newsroom team. Candidates with blogging experience, web site design and a multi-media are encouraged to apply. Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter, references and several sample pages and stories to: Noah Hoffenberg, Editor Bennington Banner 425 Main St. Bennington, VT 05201 nhoffenberg@benningtonbanner.com news@benningtonbanner.com No e-mail attachments; cut and paste the requested information into the body of an e-mail, please.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

You may run like Hays, but you hit like shit.

[​IMG]

3. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Nice catch Hayes. Don't ever fucking do it again.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was the No. 2 in sports here 10 years ago. My best friend still lives there. Good area for sports. It's blue collar all the way, but the town is getting artsier. Mount Anthony wrestling is some of the best high school wrestling you'll see.

I might apply.

5. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

6. Gillette237

Gillette237 Member

I have some family in Bennington. Nice little town.

X, is the Banner still owned by the same outfit that owns the Brattleboro Reformer?

7. Songbird

Yes. Same guy (Singleton) who owns L.A. papers.

The girl I loved more than any other worked at the paper, too. She's moved on bigtime.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

You loved Krystal Grow?

9. Songbird

Haha. But no. Krystal didn't work for the Banner.

Is she cute? I've never seen her picture.

10. Gillette237

Gillette237 Member

Not only does Mt. Anthony High School have a monster wrestling program, they used to have a strong boys basketball team, too. They won five titles in a row in the late 80s, early 90s, and one side of the gym was reserved for season ticket holders.

11. Songbird

It's still like that. Kates Gym can make you go deaf on the right night. I saw Frederickson a few weeks ago at the Frost Heaves' open tryouts in Burlington. He's still got the same great sense of humor, and tells the most wonderful stories. He talked about how the lane used to be called "Bloody Nose Alley" back when he played because then you stepped up to take a charge, or didn't play again. Still wears those cowboy boots.

A few years ago MAU and Rutland scored the most points ever (nationally) in a high school hoops game. It was something like 155-149. Basically a 32-minute layup drill. Dan Sleeman is the coach now; a Frederickson protogé.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

firstly, krystal grow gets crapped on for no apparent reason. i worked with her, liked and from what i saw, did nothing wrong.she was a kid who made a mistake. ..that according to all of the self-proclaimed professionals who spend their days browsing crappy blog after crappy blog.  but enough about that.

secondly, and i think Songbird and i have spoken about this in the past, MAU's wrestling program is one of the best in the country. ive heard the coach isnt the greatest guy, but covering that team would be fun. as far as other sports at MAU, gone way down hill. this paper also covers a prep school about 20 minutes away, a public school up the road and another public school across the border in new york state. SVC will give you no real opporunity, with the exception of its basketball team, which went to the Div. 3 NCAA tournament a few years ago. yet much like MAU's hoop team, has taken a significant step back.

as far as the town, not bad if you want to be the furthest away from city life as possible. the closest mall is about an hour drive and the closest good mall is maybe an hour and 10 minutes. the editor in chief is a good guy, worked with him before, and if you know what youre doing, he'll pretty much take a back seat and let you run your own show.

Draft saved Draft deleted