1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Benazir Bhutto assassinated...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Dec 27, 2007.

1. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I'm at a high school girls basketball tournament, killing time by checking SportsJournalists.com

Click on this link.

See picture No. 5

And immediately get chills ALL OVER. Wow, what a picture. You hate these moments, but what a picture...

Wow...

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing any photos. CNN must have pulled them.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I just looked and they're there.

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

Yeah, they're there.

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

One relative died yesterday as the result of the suicide bomb.

Benazir Butto sacrificed her life for her country. While the terroists may have killed her, Pakistanis should not let democracy die either. People should continue to push for change in the manner that Bhutto did so and not let her enemies, or enemies of democracy derail it.

Bhutto died doing what she was passionate about. She did fear for her safety and her family faced a lot of tragedy (her father and brother), but that did not deter her from trying to bring freedom and democracy to her native land. Bhutto tried to make Pakistan a better place and did so while the high risk of violence was always there to accompany it. Her strength is what carried her through and did so yesterday, on her fateful last day.

She is an international role model for being the first female prime minister of any Islamic nation from 1988 to 1990. She did break a lot of barriers to reach that position and a lot of young women worldwide looked up to her. Her intelligence, resilliance and strength was an inspiration for so many.

Bhutto was set to release one book in April called Daugthers of the East and another later in 2008 called Reconciliation: Islam, Democracy and the West.

I am not so sure the world will ever see the likes of a Benazir Bhutto again. Pakistan and the world has suffered a great loss.

She did fufill her promise to her father on the day he was executed, "I told him on my oath in his death cell, I would carry on his work." And carried on, she tried.

RIP Benazir Bhutto

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I'm really getting tired of the medias attempts to tie this into the current presidential race.

Americans in general have been so detached from the going ons and complexities in Pakistan for it to have such a residual effect over voters.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

But all the candidates were quick to say how they knew her.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I was speaking toward the time in early December when she spoke of needed election-reforms and/or Mushareff reforms and three of her supporters were killed. And I loosely tied that incident together with her explosive return from exile.

This is someone I was not that familiar with until these past few months. But her desired alliance with Sharif was reminiscent of the recent U.S. reversal of its supposed stance on Turkish/Armenian genocide.

She seemed pro-U.S. by most accounts I've read, but anyone who allied with her on that stance would be cast in a negative light by the anti-West Pakistanis who run things over there.

It's an awful mess, if you read the Newsweek cover story back two months ago. And yes, she did return from the "exile" three months ago.

Most of my knowledge of Pakistan has been via a self-induced history lesson as the war grinds on in other nearby hotspots.

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Yep. Checked all their cellphones. She's there. Even John Edwards, slugged "MyBuddyBenazir." Hell, he acted like he talks to her as often as he does his wife.

10. Yawn

Yawn New Member

This isn't meant as disrespect, and names obviously stimulate different people differently. But let's use the name Chelsea, Heather, Alicia. Attracts the imagination, right? Now try Benazir. When I hear that I think of relieving sneezy, sniffly people. Or Corazon. As in Aquino. Inflamed tendons come to mind.

I know this will not end well, but what the hell....

11. Huh?

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

It's called a senseless post that has nothing to do with the topic, Pulitzer.

Somehow, I can't see Islamists taking too well to the name Brittany. But what sounds sexier to you - Brittany or Benazir?

Draft saved Draft deleted