1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Benazir Bhutto assassinated...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Dec 27, 2007.

1. That is a first class reference, markvid.
    Back and to the left...

2. Righter than we thought.
    http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/24001.html

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Interesting but I would like to see some quotes from Spector or Kennedy.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Here is what I don't get...is the Pakistani government
    A) Naive enough to think other video wouldn't get out about what happened
    B) Naive enough to believe everyone would take their word at face value.
    C) Just that dumb.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Yes.

6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

That video is awesome, coiupled with some man-on-the-street comments.
    Townfolks who make those comments on-air are in grave danger. Sad way of life over there.
    The video makes it pretty plain to see she was shot first, then a bomb went off.
    Good work by Channel 4 crew.

7. ringer

ringer Active Member

I would like to know where the heck Christiane Amanpour has baeen during CNN's coverage of the Bhutto assassination.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueler? Bueler?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Pakistan is more screwed up than Afghanistan. We're trying to be friendly over there, pumping millions into their economy and not getting a whole lot in return. Why doesn't the US work it so that the NW region (where Osama is supposed to be) gets annexed to Afghanistan. The way it is now, the US is getting played by Pakistani leaders saying "yeah we're not doing much, but if we go you'll have REAL problems." AND THEY HAVE NUKES.
    As an aside, I interviewed Bhutto on one of her stateside visits and she gave an excellent synopsis of the situation in the region to a class of college students. An incredibly courageous person.

9. Not a bad plan, Dan, except that any Pakistaini leader that agreed to the annexation of that part of his country wouldn't last three minutes. OBL's got pals in the ISI and the army.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Maybe they'd agree to it while on their way to exile on a nice sunny island in the Med.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe too much TV during the holiday but I'm going crazy from listening to simplistic Western cure-alls for Pakistan and the North-West frontier, which is essentially a no-man's zone that's been home to the Pashtun for centuries and millions of additional Afghan refugees since the Soviet war. This is a Muslim country where OBL has a 48 percent approval rating. There is no easy way to a Western-style Democracy and, meantime, any short-term U.S. policy must focus on keeping the country -- and its nukes -- stabilized.

As an aside, next time Bhutto's husband takes a call from Wolf Blitzer perhaps Blitzer can ask him to explain why the family chose not to have an autopsy and which people in her personal security staff thought it was a good idea to pop her head out of a sunroof while moving slowly through an insecure sea of people.

Draft saved Draft deleted