1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Benazir Bhutto assassinated...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

AP reported she the attack at 6:20 this morning. Then reported she was not injured. In a matter of a half-hour, she went from attacked, uninjured, injured and in surgery, to dead.

3. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Is that really surprising?

4. Sad, but unsurprising. I was amazed at the courage she had over the last couple months to keep up the opposition in such a volatile situation.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

What a collective of assholes in that country's government. And I use the word "government" lightly.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just heard Chris Mortenson on Mike and Mike - He just broke story that Bhutto is dead

7. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

She supported the Taliban and was dismissed twice for corruption, no? While the corruption charges could be sheer bunk, there's no denying her support for the Taliban, which ran counter to her philosophy of standing up against the feudal powers in Pakistan.

Nonetheless, this is a big blow. She was a legitimate sounding board for opposition in the upcoming election. Issues were being addressed. Now, I'm not so sure any changes will be coming to Pakistan in January.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You sure she was a supporter of the Taliban? I thought the Taliban wanted women covered from head to toe and staying home, not trying to run countries. She was the opposition leader to a dictator, so the extremists might have liked her because she was all they had at the moment, but that seems to have changed.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Damn! Fucked up world....

10. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

[​IMG]

Just substitute the Trojans in with the Middle East.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

POST OF THE YEAR!

12. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

i was/am sitting in the Cincinnati airport on a layover and the news popped up for the first time. After about 15 minutes, two guys in their early 20s sit down behind me.

"Who is that?"
    "Dude, she's kinda hot. I like the scarf."

AP, after wiping the look of shock of his face and turning around: "Seriously?"

At least after that there was a good 10-minute discussion between the 3 of us and the woman two chairs down about her and what she had done for women in Islamic countries and a general rehash of her role in Pakistan (corruption charges included, yes).

I feel like I learned someone today. Amazing what can be accomplished in Northern Kentucky now and then.

Draft saved Draft deleted