1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Stein's new movie about Intelligent Design

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

If you don't recognize that evolution is as much of a lock as 2+2=4 then you are way beyond help.

You should also never brag about intelligence.
    Yup. You know fuck all about evolution.

What does "keeping the peace" mean? If one side is dead wrong then why should they be heard?

It may be true that evolution doesn't have an answer for the very beginning but that doesn't mean that the beginning needs to be answered. If you don't have an answer for something, it is okay to say "I don't know."

It is being researched and when an answer which is testable comes along, then people will go over it. Throwing our hands in the air and saying, "Oh heck. God did it!" answers nothing.

You have the theory wrong.

An arctic fox didn't turn white. A white fox, a freak, was born. This white fox was able to survive better in the environment and thus was able to procreate more. This placed the white haired gene into the pool. Some baby foxes were born white. Some were born brown. Again the white foxes survived better. They procreated more.

Change does not occur because you want it to.

At some point a monkey was able to walk more upright. That monkey could do things better. He ate more. Thusly, he fucked more.

In short, this shit is all sorted out and has been all sorted out for quite some time now.

Private schools pick and choose their students. They don't have to take the C student. They don't have to take the D student. They don't have to take the mentally handicapped.

If you can pick and choose who enters the program, it is easy to see why the numbers are skewed.

We should teach Scientology. It has science in its name!

I have to ask... Why would they interview Dawkins? Is he an expert on evolution?

I know that he's a big time atheist and all, but if the movie is all about proving ID, then wouldn't you try to take down someone that actually studies the topic?

As an aside, I wonder if someone has created a torrent of this movie. There is no way that I would allow Ben Stein to obtain my money for such dreck. But I would like to see it.

2. Dawkins, I believe, is an evolutionary biologist by trade,

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I guess I should have paid more attention to Dawkins then...

4. JackS

JackS Member

You can use this to deconstruct instead:

http://www.expelledexposed.com/

Never let it be said I'm not a fair guy.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yeah, but that is one guy's take on why it is false. I actually want to watch Stein stammer on about the evil that is the basis of all science!

6. JackS

JackS Member

I don't think you want to characterize it as "one guy's take." It's the web site set up as a response by the National Center for Science Education, aka Eugenie Scott, who is a big part of the flick.

Dude, I'm handing you your material. Run with it!

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Yes, "one guy's take" was rather shorthand.

I do appreciate the legwork as well. Thank you.

Like reading a book before seeing the movie, I would like to see the movie and see if I can spot the problems before having someone point it out for me. It is sort of like being handed a Where's Waldo picture with Waldo already circled.

8. JackS

JackS Member

Understood. Basically, my capsule review would be it's short on refuting science and long on taking leaps of logic, but if you want to see leading evolutionists look like boobs, it's a big time score.

That's why I enjoyed it. No different than when I saw Mikey Moore make Chuck Heston look like a boob.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's an entertaining movie. Very much in the Michael Moore model.
    Just saw it Saturday.
    It doesn't really make a case for teaching intelligent design.
    It plays on the lack of scientific explanation for life to good effect.
    It also makes an entertaining case for the 'dangers' of Darwinism in a vein parallel to the way many people condemn religion.

Draft saved Draft deleted