1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Stein's new movie about Intelligent Design

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1091617/

I passed a church that had something on its sign telling people to see this movie.
    I guess Stein is framing this as a free speech issue and that professors and teachers who push intelligent design are being fired, but if a math teacher felt whether or not 2+2=4 was open to debate, would he keep his job?

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If you think the theory of evolution is as settled as 2+2 = 4 you're way beyond help.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yep. Fuck what DNA has to say. Humans rode dinosaurs to work. The Bible says so. Stupid monkeys.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The same could be said for anyone who thinks humans and dinosaurs lived at the same time.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That's not the evolution we're talking about, either. The Darwinists are convinced we as humans first started out as a single cell, somehow eventually evolved to fish, crawled out of the sea, turned into a whole bunch of different creatures and finally developed into human beings. Problem is, the only evidence out there states that fish have always been fish, apes have always been apes, humans have always been humans, etc. etc. etc.

DNA-wise, we really aren't much different at all from what the cave men were. Yes, intelligence has brought an awful lot as each generation has learned from past generations. But humans have always been humans.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Just waiting for the Fredo/ape "separated at birth" photo postings.
    Shouldn't take long.

7. Yes, I've been waiting for a third-rate speechwriter and part-time eyewash salesman to settle this debate.
    Read the Dover decision. That pretty much explains the fraud that is ID.

8. Tony, there's a lot of evidence that evolution has occured. If you don't know that, you haven't studied the issue very much.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

May be the last time that I ever quote him, but Charles Krauthammer is spot on with respect to this canard.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/17/AR2005111701304.html

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Wow. Charlie briefly ascends into a state of lucidity.

Better seldom, than never.

11. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

My problem with intelligent design is that it doesn't really seem to answer anything. It's like having a 4-year-old ask, "Why is the sky blue?" and the answer being, "Because God made it that way." That's fine for Sunday school, but not in high school science. The notion of ID squashes our curiosity and our instinct to explore and discover in favor of, "It is what it is, now memorize these facts for the No Child Left Behind tests so we can keep our funding."

12. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

No offense, man, but reading does a load of good. Might want to try learning more about science before spouting off about stuff you know nothing about.

Try a mainstream scientific publication this time, instead of something published by an "alternative" intelligent design group.

Draft saved Draft deleted