1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Francisco's Official Baseball Postseason Thread (No. 10)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh Brad Lidge. I fear this will not end well.

2. McPoyle

McPoyle Guest

Zero, if those kids' parents are at all competent.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Lidge has thrown one fastball, by my count (to get Giambi to pop up).

Tulo is going to fucking snot clobber anything that hangs.

4. McPoyle

McPoyle Guest

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good work Tulo.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

David Aldridge is reporting the Rockies are playing the Phillies in the NLDS. More news on this as it develops.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone's ever confused Nick Punto with a celebrity.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Less than three pages in and this latest baseball thread is off the rails.
    If you guys can't keep your petty bullshit off the threads, please stay off the threads. You are not really as funny as you think you are and those who want to discuss, you know, the playoffs don't want to wade through that shit.

And, for the record, I never use "we" when talking about the Nats (Gnats is as lame and old and tired a joke as most of the others here). Not even on my blog. That's just me, probably an offshoot of 30-plus years in the media business.

1:45 a.m. is too late for my old ass. If it happens after midnight, I have to go read about it somewhere.

Now we move forward with talk about the baseball postseason/offseason - I really don't want to lock a baseball thread.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Okay, as promised last night, insomniac stathead theater analyzes the Anaheim Angels running game. This is some back-of-the-napkin stuff and not meant to be absolutely golden by any means.

The Angels stole 148 bases and were caught 63 times. League averages were 110 and 39, meaning they got 38 extra bases and 24 extra outs. Linear weighting puts stolen bases at about 0.3 runs and outs at about -0.5 runs, so by this measure they more or less broke even on stolen bases.

The Angels were picked off 25 times, 7 more than the league average. That's another -3.5 runs.

So far, nothing too bad. But what really killed them was outs on the bases. They were out on the basepaths 78 times, easily first in the league and 23 more than the average AL team. (Not the sort of stat you want to see when you are about to play Derek Jeter's team). That's another 11.5 runs thrown away.

They had 173 "bases taken" (bases taken on tag ups, walks, wild pitches, passed balls and defensive indifference), second only to the Twins and 29 ahead of the league average. Give them another 8.7 runs.

Where they really excelled was taking extra bases on base hits. The Angels led the league in taking an extra base on a base hit (1st to 3rd, 2nd to home on a single or first to home on a double) 48% of the time, against a league average of 39%. They went 1st to 3rd on 127/367 singles, they went 2nd to home on 161/223 singles, and they went first to home on 42 of 92 doubles. That puts them roughly 65 bases advanced ahead of the league average rate, given their total number of chances. Or 19.5 runs.

So by this rough calculation, the Angels' offense produced an extra 12.7 runs of value from their baserunning, which translates to a little less than 1.5 wins. Definitely significant.

Or, if you don't like linear weights and run translations, just say that they took 132 extra bases compared to a league average team with baserunning, almost one per game. They also made 54 more baserunning outs than the average team, exactly one every three games.

Expect the Angels' baserunning to be a big part of the LCS, although it remains to be seen in whose favor.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Right now, you need to aerate, lime, fertilize and seed.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Not as thourough, but I thought the speed of the LAa would have translated into fewer doubles hit against them (tighter outfield gaps). This was not the case.

LAa pitchers gave up 298 doubles, just about what every other active team gave up.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

We don't blame you. Who would want to?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.