1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Bradlee in hospice

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Sep 30, 2014.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't sure if this is news, journalism or something else. But Ben Bradlee is in hospice care, according to his wife, Sally Quinn. He's 93 and has been suffering from alzheimer's and dementia for several years.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/29/politics/bradlee-hospice-care/index.html?hpt=hp_t4

Seeing that had me thinking about how much things have changed in newspapers, and what is possible now for investigative reporters and their editors. The Nixon administration was tailor made for his personality. I think his legend will largely be a right guy, right place, right time thing. I guess you can say that about anyone, but the pentagon papers and watergate required someone who lives for the fight, and there he was.

You don't have those larger-than-life, nationally known editor types anymore. It's too bad.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A man who had Jason Robards play him in a movie didn't need to accomplish anything else to impress me.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

He spoke at my school way back when and I was blown away by how spot on the casting was. They could have been brothers.

He did a big speech in the arena and then a more intimate Q&A session with the school newspaper staff. When he was about ready to leave he asked if anybody else had any more questions, and somebody says "Yeah, who is Deep Throat?"

So Bradlee stands up and says, "Well, it's time for me to get the fuck out of here."

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

LOL. Great quote.

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Was watching Brian Lamb's interview with Sally Quinn Sunday when she revealed the news. It saddened me.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Cool story, Jake.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

That is an awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

His autobiography should be a must read for anyone in journalism.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agreed. May have to dig out my copy for another go-around.

Draft saved Draft deleted