1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Affleck

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wicked, Jun 23, 2016.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

It's being talked about on the Simmons thread, but I thought it was worthy of its own.

Clearly the guy is in a downward spiral. Divorce, bad movie roles, possibly hitting midlife crisis territory, showing up drunk/high on Simmons' show ... not good.

I could totally see him pulling a Charlie Sheen, too.

What's the over/under on a rehab trip? I don't think he's quite there yet. I say give him a year.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I think you're supposed to be drunk on Simmons' show. It's irreverent.

3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

He's never been as crazy as Sheen, who had a lot different upbringing with a famous father and early success. They are similar being addicts who are the sons of addicts, but that is about as far as it goes.

And what are the bad movie roles? He was the only thing people seemed to like in BvS. (Never saw it.)

On top of that, he has directed The Town and Argo in the last six years.

4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Actually liked his role in Runner Runner. Thought it was decent flick.
    That krap he did last night with Simmons was awful.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Wouldn't getting the guests drunk before the interview be a trick he picked up from Kimmel? Affleck has already been a punchline and been through high profile breakups. Why would it all be too much this time around?

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The Town was fantastic.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Ben Affleck, HOF?

JackReacher likes this.
  8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I might watch the show if all his guests were drunk.

9. Jake_Taylor

Ben Affleck's problem was he is a Ralph Bellamy actor with Cary Grant looks. He's the buddy, the guy good for a few great moments amongst an ensemble. But he looked like a leading man and he and Hollywood tried to force him into leading man roles for years.

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

This seems like a bit of an overreaction, doesn't it? Yeah, he was a mess on Simmons's show, but he was just letting the Boston Bro out that never really left.

The divorce probably sucks, but he's not the first Hollywood guy to have a couple of those. I actually thought he was good as Batman. He wasn't why that movie sucked. Plus I thought Gone Girl was good, Argo was clearly a winner and The Town was excellent.

Unless I'm missing some other Hollywood gossip.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

We need SJ.com Hollywood Insider TigerVols on this thread to give his insight.

12. Jake_Taylor

Maybe the plan was to give him something that would go viral and help get the show off the ground.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted