1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Affleck vs. Bill Maher and Sam Harris - arguing about Islam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Affleck's comments do reflect the opinion of many in America.

And, the question we need to ask is whether this is "radical Islam". Is it? Is it "radical" or is Islam as taught by the founder, the prophet Muhammad, and as dictated to him, and as recorder in the Qur'an.

Surely most Muslims in America do not believe in Jihad in the way members of al-Qaeda or ISIS do, but is that because they aren't radical, or is it because they reject certain tenets of Islam?

And, in Muslim majority nations, there is broad support for Jihad, for the killing of apostates, for suicide bombers, etc. And there is not broad support for things like Democracy, women's rights, gay rights, or the right to worship other religions.

Islam is not just a religion. It is an all encompassing ideology. It covers religion, law, politics. It's an ideology as at odds with our own as Communism, or Naziism.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Ad Hominem

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Similar to ...

4. YankeeFan

Affleck is a boob, but he's very politically active. This isn't some Hollywood dummy who gives no thought to politics. He gives is a lot of thought.

He's testified before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. He was treated like a rock star by the Dems (and the media) at their 2004 Boston Convention.

He's been talked about wanting to run for political office in the future.

Other than George Clooney, he's considered as politically astute as any Hollywood star by the Democratic Party.

5. YankeeFan

Liberalism?

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

No need for the question mark.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You're suspect. Yeah, you. I don't know what your reputation is in this town, but after the shit you tried to pull today, you can bet I'll be looking into you. Now the business we have here to for you can speak with my aforementioned attorney. Good day gentlemen and until that day comes, keep your ear to the grindstone.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'd object to the Sunshine the sock puppet troll attacking me on a thread I hadn't even seen yet, much less posted on, but I really don't mind given the fool Sunshine is making of himself. He is willing to treat an actor as a political expert simply because he thinks he can use it to attack those whose politics he disagrees with.

Also, LTL has a point. Sunshine is a sock puppet, too cowardly to stand with his own posting history, which makes him look even more foolish.

9. YankeeFan

Sunshine is not a troll or a sock puppet.

Like a lot of people here, he's on a second name, but he only posts using one name.

And, if you look at certain threads he posts on, you don't have to be a genius to figure out who he is. He hasn't made any attempt to hide it.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Another gambit in the LTL playbook when he is on the wrong side of discussion is to try and
    label someone a troll or sock puppet

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

So are Jenny McCarthy's views on vaccines and, by extension, proven medical science. Doesn't make her, or any other Hollywood "activist," any less full of shit.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And the GOP cheerleaders leap to his defense. No surprise there.

Sorry, but I'm not interested in playing detective. Sock puppets are a huge part of the problem on this board and when he uses another name to post, you are using a sock puppet. You whine when your posting history is held against you, but at least you don't hide from it. He does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.