1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Affleck Is Batman for Man of Steel Sequel (dir. Zack Snyder)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Aug 22, 2013.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Or they could get Christopher Meloni to play the part of Metallo. Military guy, injured and possibly killed in Man of Steel to come back.

That way Richard Schiff could come back as Dr. Emil Hamilton.

Meloni's codename was Guardian, in a little Easter Egg to that character but having him as Metallo would be an interesting twist.

Having Hamilton go bad, like in the cartoon and be the brains behind Cadmus would setup a storyline in 2, that could be completed in 3.

I still think that any Justice League movie, if they don't go a Darkseid/Braniac route will involve Cadmus. I think that is some low-hanging fruit, even though the cartoon did it extremely well already.

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I haven't thought much about Guardian since the whole Death and Return story line from when I was a kid.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In other words, a year-long exercise in jerking off the buying public with the fiction they were really truly going to kill off Superman, in a quest to create an artificial balloon of panic demand. Which worked temporarily in the short term, but also resulted in large part in the absolute collapse of the printed-comics industry.

In the meantime you can get all the bagged near-mint condition copies of the 'Death' issue you want for two bucks each on eBay. There are milllions stashed away in attics all across the nation.

4. While all of that certainly happened, I don't think DC was savvy enough to try creating that sales balloon on purpose. The original reason they "killed" him is because their plan for an event that year (the wedding) was postponed by the new Lois & Clark show. They ended up scrambling for an idea to do a long-running story and one of them (either Jerry Ordway or Roger Stern, I forget which) had been throwing around the idea of "let's kill him" for the last couple of years.

I don't think the creators of the four books at the time thought people would regard the death as permanent.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Given that this was around the time DC had Batman crippled and temporarily replaced by a far more violent vigilante, I think they knew exactly what they were doing.

Superman's death and return wasn't the event that made death in comics a joke, but it sure pushed the process along.

6. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I still think it's an amazing feat that DC kept its main character out of a story for a year.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The impressive part was keeping four Superman books going with no Superman for so long. Call it gutsy, desperate or a calculated money grab, but they did have Superman (mostly?) dead and Bruce Wayne crippled and replaced by some relatively obscure vigilante as Batman for a while.

Maybe that is why DC has gotten to the point that they reboot their entire universe every few years now to deal with all the clutter.

Marvel does its share of retcons, too, but they have gone the alternate universe route (MC2, Ultimate lines) rather than reboot everything so far.

Death has just become such a joke in comics. Try putting together a list of characters who were dead or at least believed dead and it gets very long very fast.

Without looking anybody up, from both Marvel and DC:

Superman
    Batman
    Green Lantern (Hal Jordan)
    Green Arrow
    Aquaman
    Martian Manhunter
    Deadman (no kidding. They brought the ghost who possesses people back to life at one point)
    Flash (Barry Allen, I think. Maybe Wally West, too)
    Phoenix (Jean Grey)
    Hawkman
    Hawkgirl
    Charles Xavier
    Magneto
    Wolverine
    Blink
    Colossus (seeing a trend with the X-Men yet?)
    Nightcrawler (not back yet, but Marvel announced an upcoming storyline during which he returns)
    Thor
    Odin
    Mockingbird
    Green Goblin (Norman Osborne)
    Harry Osborne
    Bucky
    Captain America
    Iron Man (I'm still not clear if Tony Stark was dead or replaced by a teenage version of himself or what)
    Hawkeye (Scarlet Witch killed him and brought him back at least twice, but she's much better now)
    Wonder Man
    Reed Richards
    Dr. Doom
    Thing
    Human Torch
    Betty Ross (Hulk's girlfriend/wife)

Ok, enough of that, but there are definitely more.

This does not include alternate universes or storylines in which they kill off just about everybody, then somehow undo it all like Age of Ultron.

8. Starman

Which in no small part (although Frank Miller's relentless campaign to diarrhea-shit all over the character, a campaign in which he was quite shockingly enabled by WB/DC, is certainly a major factor as well) is undoubtedly one of the main reasons he isn't their main character any more.

9. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

12. Starman

Draft saved Draft deleted