1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Affleck Is Batman for Man of Steel Sequel (dir. Zack Snyder)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Aug 22, 2013.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

You can't just write something into Superman that he has been stridently against for 75 years of characterization, so it will tie a bow on a bad movie.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, Superman did kill Zod (or some version of Zod) in the comics. It's tough to keep it straight given how often DC reboots everything.

I had no problem with Superman killing when he absolutely had to. My problem is they didn't earn that moment. They relied on people to know Superman doesn't kill from seeing the other movies or reading the comics. They did not establish that in the movie. They did not establish how terrible a choice that would be for him.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

I cannot suspend disbelief when I see Superman taking a life.
    Even if Zod did pose a grave threat to the future of the planet.

4. outofplace

What did you think happened to Zod, Ursa and Non in Superman II?

5. 3_Octave_Fart

He disempowers them.
    By force of cunning.
    That's Superman.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I learned from this board that a deleted scene from the movie shows Superman fishing them out of the water and tAking them to The Hague for trial.

Assuming Starman is telling the truth.

7. outofplace

I remember that, too, but that certainly isn't how most people saw the scene at the time.

Yes, Superman takes their powers away by outsmarting them. At that point they are just unarmed human beings. The way I see it, Superman then proceeded to kill Zod by tossing him into a deep chasm. He allows Non to plunge to a similar end, then watches as Lois sends Ursa into a deadly plunge. In the movie as we all saw it, Superman most definitely kills.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Oh, I totally remember thinking the same thing. Superman kills or lets them all die.

The more I think about it, the more I'm not bothered by the end of Man of Steel.

9. outofplace

It never bothered me that he killed Zod and I thought they played the reaction well. I have read that the fallout is expected to be part of the next movie, which is also a good thing.

As I've said, what really bothered me is they needed to do a better job establishing how difficult it would be for Superman to kill someone. Not other versions of the character. This one. They needed to earn that moment.

Draft saved Draft deleted