1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Below the Mendoz...um, make that CARTER line, bad news for Obama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Nov 30, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't know about the country, but the method by which we elect a president is fucking shattered beyond repair. A very quick search of teh Googlez reveals Romney raised more than $62 million for his 2008 campaign. And didn't get the nomination. There's a 99.999999999999% chance anyone you describe cannot afford to even compete, never mind win. You know, like the Pittsburgh Pirates!!!! #TryingToGetOOPInvolved :D

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

+/- 3 points in the general. And there's no calculating how much energy the Anderson campaign drained from the Democrats through the summer and fall. Anderson was very popular among college-age voters that year.

uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/national.php?year=1980

typo

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Against this field?

No chance.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nope. Born in the Philippines. We are all the worse for it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Obama and the DNC will probably raise close to $1 billion by next November to get re-elected. Romney or whoever the GOP nominee is will likely raise as much if not more than that.

But those are the rules, and thanks to the Citizens United ruling, those rules are in essence now encoded into the Constitution.

6. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Don't underestimate what can happen in elections when the electorate is desperate enough, the incumbent party's base demoralized enough and the incumbent looks as weak and impotent at fixing things as Obama does (even if that impotence isn't entirely his fault).

If the economy continues to languish, Obama continues to look weak and helpless and his base doesn't feel sufficiently motivated to take the time to actually vote, Obama could definitely lose to Newt Gingrich or anyone else in the GOP field.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Man, didn't you read print's post? There are plenty of incompetents in the field as well. :D

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

In an age in which voters are aware of a politician's every wart, I cannot conceive of a world in which Newt Gingrich is sworn in as President.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He sure wouldn't surprise anybody or cause buyer's remorse, so that's a plus.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think Romney saw the writing on the wall in 2008 and realized that no republican was going to win and bowed out deciding to focus on 2012.

11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I think Romney was exposed as a phony in 2008 just as he is slowly being now. The difference was that he had much stiffer competition in 2008, so the hammer fell a lot quicker.

As for the first part of your statement, McCain was essentially tied with Obama in the polls before Lehman Brothers crapped the bed in mid-September and the economy really went to hell. So how could he have "seen the writing on the wall" when he dropped out in early 2008?

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Everyone counting out the entire GOP field has no grasp of history at all. At this time in 1979 not a single soul had any idea that Ronald Reagan would be the greatest president in US history.

Who in this field can be another Reagan? You never know. But I wouldn't count out Romney or Gingrich or even Bachmann or Perry. I still wish Fred Thompson had made a more-serious run in 2008 and had the itch to run again.

Draft saved Draft deleted