1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Below the Mendoz...um, make that CARTER line, bad news for Obama

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Carter was also challenged by Teddy in the primaries and that did quite a bit of damage going toward the general election.

Obama will not face that (one would assume..).

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Gingrich would increase salaries by increasing overtime and making Americans more productive at 70-80 hours a week...which would burden families with children. But then considering Gingrich's personal life testimony on family values, he really doesn't give a shit about children.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

C'mon Mizzou. You know you want to make a Chappaqua joke there. You want it. PULL THE TRIGGER!!!! :D

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Printdust, the swing upwards in Carter's approval rating was entirely due to the rally 'round the flag effect of the initial months of the Iran hostage crisis. That's it. Full stop. It's exactly the same thing that happened to Obama when bin Laden got killed. It's almost impossible to envision a similar event impacting the 2012 election, but it could happen. That's one of the reasons incumbents win more often than they lose.

5. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Gingrich would be great for one simple reason.

He understands that Washington doesn't have a revenue problem. It has a spending problem.

6. printdust

printdust New Member

Liberals got pissed with Carter in the same way they're getting pissed with Obama for allegedly going to the center too much. But when confronted with Reagan, the liberals picked the lesser of two evils and got behind the Peanut Farmer's ass, after the burp with Kennedy failed. But it wasn't enough to overcome the Reagan march.

7. Mizzougrad96

Question: What was the Kennedy children's favorite storybook?

Answer: Fun with Chappaquiddick and Jane.

Question: What part of etiquette class did Teddy Kennedy skip?

Answer: The one where they teach you that when leaving the car, remember to open the door for your date.

THERE... IT'S OUT OF MY SYSTEM. REST IN HELL TEDDY!!!

8. printdust

printdust New Member

Gingrich may be the most intelligent candidate out there in the GOP list.

But Romney? Seriously, Romney? He couldn't cut it four years ago. I see nothing appealing there except that he's from the Northeast, the beltway media knows him and considers him palatable by their standards. Other than that, to me, he's a lameass with little substance.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

People tend to forget the 1980 votes siphoned off by Independent candidate John Anderson.

10. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Romney will win the GE if he wins the GOP. Romney is about as liberal as a R can be. And that has worked well in the past. I miss Slick Willy's first 6 years.

11. Mizzougrad96

There are definitely similarities between Carter and Obama.

I think if the republicans had the right candidate, he would crush Obama. The problem is, that person doesn't exist. People said the same thing about W. in 2004, although I think his approval ratings were a bit higher than Obama's are right now.

I think Romney is a stronger candidate than Kerry was. But, I would be absolutely lying if I said I had a great deal of confidence in who will win next year.

12. printdust

printdust New Member

That's why he has the Northeastern appeal.

Draft saved Draft deleted